Pregnant platy?

FishQween

Hi, I'm a beginner.

I bought my new female platy just today and when I was going to put her in the tank with my other platies, I noticed she has what appears to be a gravid spot???

I'm not really sure, but just in case I separated her into another tank. I just don't know how long before she has babies (if at all). And I've never had a platy breed before, so I'm not really sure what to do.

Any help is appreciated!

Also, I hope the pictures are clear. She's extremely shy so it's a little tough to take pictures of her.

IMG_2055.jpeg

IMG_2056.jpeg

IMG_2059.jpeg

IMG_2058.jpeg

IMG_2057.jpeg

Edited by FishQween
  • Like 1

Welcome to the world of platies 🙂 One of my favorite fish! And baby platies are about as baby fish get, in my opinion.

Any female platy should be considered pregnant at all times, if she has been in a tank with a male in the past several months. They can store enough sperm packets to produce babies every month for 6-8 months after just being with a male for a day or so.

Sometimes the stress of moving to a new tank will cause babies to be born prematurely or even be re-absorbed by the mother. But usually a female platy will have new babies every 30-ish days. Often the first batch will be small, like five or ten babies. Each batch is likely to be larger and batches of 40 or more are not uncommon. Each baby can start having her own babies when she is 4 to 5 months old. 

If you want to raise a few hundred baby platies, you will need to provide plenty of places for them to hide for the first few days so the parents will not eat them. If you don't have a lot of plants growing in your tank you can use fake plants like these: https://www.amazon.com/Lantian-Cluster-Aquarium-Plastic-Plants/dp/B077CSSSW9/ref=sr_1_9?c=ts&keywords=Aquarium+Décor+Plastic+Plants&qid=1705713370&s=pet-supplies&sr=1-9&ts_id=2975453011

If you do not want to raise hundreds of baby platies, don't give them hiding places and the parents will likely reduce the population of fry to manageable numbers.

If you do not want to raise ANY baby platies, return all your females to the store and enjoy a peaceful tank of male platies. It's the only way to not be knee deep in platies!

• Like 1

On 1/20/2024 at 5:55 PM, Goosedub said:

She isn’t anywhere close to ready to deliver. She will get much more plumb before them. You probably have a couple of weeks. 

Alright. Thank you so much!! 😁😁

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/20/2024 at 4:11 AM, FishQween said:

Hi, I'm a beginner.

I bought my new female platy just today and when I was going to put her in the tank with my other platies, I noticed she has what appears to be a gravid spot???

I'm not really sure, but just in case I separated her into another tank. I just don't know how long before she has babies (if at all). And I've never had a platy breed before, so I'm not really sure what to do.

Any help is appreciated!

Also, I hope the pictures are clear. She's extremely shy so it's a little tough to take pictures of her.

IMG_2055.jpeg

IMG_2056.jpeg

IMG_2059.jpeg

IMG_2058.jpeg

IMG_2057.jpeg

Any update? I am also facing the same issue and that is why I am looking for some useful information online and I am glad I found your post where you were talking about the same issue as mine. I am also very happy because while searching for it online, I also found https://domypaper.com/ website link where I found an essay writer who will do my paper for money and because of this, now, I can easily concentrate on my fish. I can't see her like this. 

Any update?

Edited by FatimaBoyer

On 2/12/2024 at 2:27 AM, FatimaBoyer said:

Any update?

Yeah, she still hasn't dropped any fry. Although her gravid spot is getting darker. Also, I had a recent outbreak of ich and I had been using the same equipment on her tank and the main tank, so I'm keeping a close eye on her. She seems fine so far.

IMG_2751.jpeg

IMG_2752.jpeg

IMG_2753.jpeg

IMG_2758.jpeg

IMG_2755.jpeg

• Love 1