Ph is TO LOW FOR CYCLE! How do I raise it????

On 1/20/2024 at 10:26 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

It's just because the most common method for accuracy would be the liquid tests. One drop means 1 degree, then you can convert that to ppm.

One thing to always keep in mind is your KH levels in the tap vs. the tank as well as your Gh ratio (compared to KH levels).

yeah, i so wanted the coop strips to be accurate. but i no longer trust them

• Like 1

On 1/20/2024 at 10:27 AM, Tony s said:

I only have the Sera, haven't tried the API yet. but have been impressed with the Sera. going to get more test for iron, phosphates, etc...

Does Api us liquid suspension and reactive drops. where you count drops. I find that's the most accurate.

I looked into the sera ones but went with API

On 1/20/2024 at 8:57 AM, Bigdog99 said:

@quikv6 My kh was 40ppm and gh 60 ppm in the first plAce even t hough seems like nobody measures kh and gh in ppm but that is what it read. I am also out of test strips so I guess I should order those? I use a master test kit for ammonia,nitrite,nitrates and ph and high range ph.but it doesn’t measure kh gh…

Messed up the quote on accident..🙄

kh and gh are really easy to convert, it's 19 ppm for 1 degree of either. I use 20 for the easiest. So, you're 60 ppm gh becomes 3dGh. which is close enough. 

• Like 1

On 1/20/2024 at 10:28 AM, quikv6 said:

I have found to the Tetra multi-strips to be the most accurate. "Accurate" = Closest to API liquid master kit used properly

The Co-op strips are fine, and pretty consistent when you need a quick check to make sure there are no outliers. I do find them a bit off from the Tetra strips, and liquid kit.

The API strips have been the worst for me, to be honest.

Anything is better than nothing when it comes to the ability to test if needed.

I find that strips are not that accurate. coop strips had my kh at zero. Sera had my dkh at 2. 

• Like 1

On 1/20/2024 at 10:51 AM, Bigdog99 said:

Yes but I couldn’t find anything better

Right, you have to use what you can get. I just happened upon that brand by accident. Now I'm hooked. 😀

• Haha 1

Alkalinity is necessary for nitrification.  It's Ok if it is low, but it can't be "zero":

https://www.epa.gov/sites/default/files/2015-09/documents/nitrification_1.pdf

3.1.3 pH and Alkalinity Bulk water pH value is an important factor in nitrification activity for two reasons. First, a reduction of total alkalinity may accompany nitrification because a significant amount of bicarbonate is consumed in the conversion of ammonia to nitrite. A model developed by Gujer and Jenkins (1974) indicates that 8.64 mg/L of bicarbonate (HCO3 - ) will be utilized for each mg/L of ammonia-nitrogen oxidized. While reduction in alkalinity does not impose a direct public health impact, reductions in alkalinity can cause reductions in buffering capacity, which can impact pH stability and corrosivity of the water toward lead and copper. The relationships between pH, alkalinity, corrosivity, and metals leaching are addressed in a separate White Paper.

The article also discusses the ideal pH range for the two main types of baceria:

Secondly, nitrifying bacteria are very sensitive to pH as shown in Figure 3. Nitrosomonas has an optimal pH between approximately 7.0 and 8.0, and the optimum pH range for Nitrobacter is approximately 7.5 to 8.0. Some utilities have reported that an increase in pH (to greater than 9)

Baking soda will provide the bicarbonate mentioned above.  It is consumed during the nitrification process and must be replenished.

On a side note, if you are using something like an API test kit or test strip, and you measure "zero," what you are really measuring is "less than one," (or whatever the minimum value on the test is able to show).  So, not "zero," but rather "less than one."

Edited by Galabar
  • Like 1

On 1/20/2024 at 3:59 PM, Galabar said:

Alkalinity is necessary for nitrification.  It's Ok if it is low, but it can't be "zero":

https://www.epa.gov/sites/default/files/2015-09/documents/nitrification_1.pdf

The article also discusses the ideal pH range for the two main types of baceria:

Baking soda will provide the bicarbonate mentioned above.  It is consumed during the nitrification process and must be replenished.

On a side note, if you are using something like an API test kit or test strip, and you measure "zero," what you are really measuring is "less than one," (or whatever the minimum value on the test is able to show).  So, not "zero," but rather "less than one."

Thanks!