Severe fin rot on Betta - new hobbyist needs help

VioletT

On 2/5/2024 at 4:16 AM, VioletT said:

Thank you for the encouragement. I have put a lot of time and stress into trying to helping this little guy and it is defiantly a trial by fire. He Seems to be holding it together for now, it's really hard to tell if there is progress but I have noticed that the inflamed sore on his cheek has gone down quite a bit and might disappear soon. My plan it to get the cycle going and potentially another round of kanaplex.

I am considering getting some plants and I'll defiantly will have to educate myself on how to do that correctly. but I've been taking more and more plastics out and replacing it with things like a floating log and other hiding spots. 

Currently I am feeding him three top fin floating pellets two times a day (very basic I know). I recently got him some shrimp pellets and bloodworms.

About the plants if u get em and u want success…get Java fern and anubias nana or anubias nana petite, and u should be just fine. Those two are the 2 best beginner plants out there IMO. Get some easy green fertilizer and test paremeters u should be fine @VioletT look it up and ya 👍

On 2/5/2024 at 12:44 PM, Supermassive said:

I agree with the java fern and anubias suggestions but I would go with a narrow leaf java fern instead of the normal java fern unless you have larger tank.

How big is the tank you are keeping him in?

Yea the narrow leaf Java fern is better for smaller tanks but u can’t get it on AC. But other online places that are good u can. Buce plan is good but no sure if they have narrow leaf…. 

• Thanks 1

I am noticing that the water in the tank is showing 0 ammonia when I use a liquid test kit but the test strips I use for everything else is showing also 0 nitrites and nitrates. I am continuing to struggle to get my tank cycled but I am also not seeing any worsening symptoms in my fish. The inflamed spot on his cheek has nearly gone away and I haven't noticed any further decay on the fins but it is still really hard to tell if that is really the case or if I'm just used to how his fins look now.

• Like 2

On 2/8/2024 at 6:45 PM, VioletT said:

I am noticing that the water in the tank is showing 0 ammonia when I use a liquid test kit but the test strips I use for everything else is showing also 0 nitrites and nitrates. I am continuing to struggle to get my tank cycled but I am also not seeing any worsening symptoms in my fish. The inflamed spot on his cheek has nearly gone away and I haven't noticed any further decay on the fins but it is still really hard to tell if that is really the case or if I'm just used to how his fins look now.

The test strips, they are not accurate at all. TRUST THE TEST KIT AND U WILL SUCCEED ON KNOWING THE PAREMETERS! It is true. The test kit is almost spot on on my nitrates, nitrite, ammonia, ph. The strips are not the greatest. I would say maybe the gh and kh is the only consistent thing IMO. But, anyways he should get better soon! Great job with what you have done btw!! @VioletT

• Thanks 1

On 2/8/2024 at 3:45 PM, VioletT said:

Can you elaborate on what the filter looks like right now? Please feel free to share a photo or video of the filter running on the tank. Maybe it will indicate something.

Did you ever use anything like stability or fritz zhyme 7?

Basically you might just have very low bioload. No ammonia, no nitrite is good.

On 2/8/2024 at 4:48 PM, Bigdog99 said:

The test strips, they are not accurate at all.

Every test, liquid or strip has a chance of being invalid, contaminated, or perfect.

Edited by nabokovfan87
  • Like 1

On 2/9/2024 at 11:12 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

Can you elaborate on what the filter looks like right now? Please feel free to share a photo or video of the filter running on the tank. Maybe it will indicate something.

Every test, liquid or strip has a chance of being invalid, contaminated, or perfect.

Yeah that is true. Never thought about it.

On 2/9/2024 at 8:12 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

I have been using Stability and Prime like you mentioned earlier with daily water changes for about a week. 

Below is a photo of the filter additions I added.

IMG_20240209_100734926.jpg

IMG_20240209_101942452_HDR.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 2/9/2024 at 10:32 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

Looks good then!  Probably is just cycled, doing well, and has very low bioload.

I hope that is the case. I'll keep an eye on it. Thank you!

• Like 1

On 2/9/2024 at 1:48 PM, Bigdog99 said:

Yes it will prob be fine though! How is the betta?

He is pretty active. Whenever I move he is quick to see what I'm up too. He is eating well and always ravenous. I have not noticed any further decay but as mentioned hard to tell if the fins are re-growing or not. The inflammation on his cheek is completely gone. He doesn't flair a lot when using the mirror but seems to be doing alright. He hasn't blown any bubble nests yet.

• Like 1

On 2/10/2024 at 5:13 PM, VioletT said:

He is pretty active. Whenever I move he is quick to see what I'm up too. He is eating well and always ravenous. I have not noticed any further decay but as mentioned hard to tell if the fins are re-growing or not. The inflammation on his cheek is completely gone. He doesn't flair a lot when using the mirror but seems to be doing alright. He hasn't blown any bubble nests yet.

That’s great news! Maybe 3 more weeks or less for him to be doing very good! Thanks for the update! Keep us posted on anymore updates if u can @VioletT!

• Like 1

Update: keeping water clean with 2 days doing a 30% water change. He eats well and is very active. I have stopped putting salt in his water and I have noticed that his fins aren't improving. I plan to add salt back into the water next time I do a water change. 

• Like 2

On 2/22/2024 at 2:09 PM, VioletT said:

Update: keeping water clean with 2 days doing a 30% water change. He eats well and is very active. I have stopped putting salt in his water and I have noticed that his fins aren't improving. I plan to add salt back into the water next time I do a water change. 

Yea adding salt is good but make sure to not add TO much @VioletT, I was going to ask how it was going, it is amazing what he has gone through! Very strong betta! Fighting hard!

Edited by Bigdog99

On 2/22/2024 at 4:51 PM, Bigdog99 said:

Yea adding salt is good but make sure to not add TO much @VioletT, I was going to ask how it was going, it is amazing what he has gone through! Very strong betta! Fighting hard!

Indeed! I'm proud of the little guy.

• Love 1

On 2/22/2024 at 11:09 AM, VioletT said:

You likely want to continue with a second round of meds.  If you recall, I believe the plan was to get the filtration stable, then repeat the process with the meds.

• Like 1