Ordering meds from amazon in Canada.

I've been looking on amazon for fish meds because I cant get any in Canada. They are available on amazon from the US but I'm wondering if its actually allowed or if they will deny entry at the border.

Has anybody in Canada ordered meds from Amazon in the US? Did it get through the border okay?

It's entirely at your own risk. You might get what you ordered, but if you don't the best you can hope for is a refund. And no guarantee of that, if the seller fulfilled their obligation to mail it to you. 

You might be better off looking to ebay, I think that's where I got mine last time. 

On 1/15/2024 at 1:13 PM, TOtrees said:

It's entirely at your own risk. You might get what you ordered, but if you don't the best you can hope for is a refund. And no guarantee of that, if the seller fulfilled their obligation to mail it to you. 

You might be better off looking to ebay, I think that's where I got mine last time.

I've never been ripped off on amazon. Would it be any riskier than ordering a normal item? Most of the ones I'm looking at say they are eligible for return, refund, or replacement.

On 1/15/2024 at 1:18 PM, Supermassive said:

I've never been ripped off on amazon. Would it be any riskier than ordering a normal item? Most of the ones I'm looking at say they are eligible for return, refund, or replacement.

I would say yes it's riskier than ordering a normal item. But that's an opinion, not a legal review. 

I imagine it matters whether customs confiscates or returns.  You would think they would confiscate, in which case the seller did their part. 

Im more interested how you plan to order from the US.  I have a friend in Canada, and I couldn't find a way to enter his address to ship to.  Figure I'll have to use amazon.ca

On 1/15/2024 at 1:27 PM, Lonkley said:

I imagine it matters whether customs confiscates or returns.  You would think they would confiscate, in which case the seller did their part.

Yeah that's what I'm not sure about. Is it actually allowed to be imported and you just cant sell it in Canada or is not allowed at all? I heard technically you can sell it up here but you need special permission or something like that.

On 1/15/2024 at 1:27 PM, Lonkley said:

Im more interested how you plan to order from the US.  I have a friend in Canada, and I couldn't find a way to enter his address to ship to.  Figure I'll have to use amazon.ca

I haven't got that far. I was just looking at the items and it said shipping and import fees apply so I assumed they would ship it. I dont think the items are even listed on amazon.ca. It brings up .com when I google amazon fish medication.

On 1/15/2024 at 1:28 PM, Supermassive said:

@TOtrees If you've had success with ebay I guess I should probably do that. It just seems like ebay is the sketchier website in my mind.

Anyone from US who ships fish meds to Canada - that can't be sold in Canada - is doing so for 1 of 2 reasons. Either they they don't know that they shouldn't, or they do know and don't care. Neither of those necessarily means that what they put in the mail won't get through. It might. 

What I'm saying is both are sketchy, in my mind. Personally, I've found much better selection on ebay (choice of med, choice of seller). At least for this particular niche market.

Edited by TOtrees
  • Like 1

Last time I tried to do something like this I got a rather… interesting letter so ya no idea if they would actually do anything but who knows it just got sent back to the sender and I got a refund do it at your own risk 

Living in the US I take meds a bit for granted, but what is legal worldwide is salt. Salt is magical. 

I use the trio as a preventative measure, and I’m thankful that I have the option to medicate. That being said, the two times I’ve actually had to treat fish (once was ich on fish after the med trio but before I moved them to their display tank thankfully, and the other time was what I think was a cyst on my Bristlenose Pleco) I treated with salt and it cured everything. 

I realize that doesn’t answer your original question, but salt is really useful for a lot of things. 

• Like 1

I used to work at a major US catalog and online retailer involved with taking international orders.   Canada was our biggest international customer.

It was amazing how many of our Canadian living customers had US shipping addresses and Canadian Billing addresses. They lived near enough to the border they would have a us address to deliver to and they would go pick up their package in the us and bring it over the border themselves.  Allowed them to avoid the duties…

• Like 1

On 1/16/2024 at 2:55 PM, Supermassive said:

@Colu Are fish medications banned in the UK?

You can't get antibiotic medications  unless you see a vet  anti-parasitic medication such as praziquantel levamisole and fenbendazole and flubendazole are readily available at LFS