Questions about converting a 29 gallon tank into an Aquaponics setup (using the AquaSprouts Garden)

lrkiser

Hi there! I am looking into all the supplies I will need to maintain a 29 gallon tank, both above and below water. 🙂I am an aquarium newbie so feel free to offer any advice and recommendations!

I am thinking of doing a cold water tank with live plants, cherry shrimp, a reticulated hillstream loach, and celestial pearl danios.

The AquaSprouts garden comes with a water pump which carries the water to the plants growing above.

Since the water is constantly cycling, and there are live plants on both levels, I am wondering if an air pump is necessary?

Are there any cold water starter kits with supplies that you recommend, or particular parts or products you think would be great for this setup?

• Like 1

Tagging @Guppysnail for photos of her emersed aquaponic aquariums.

I keep one Aquaponics setup designed by a friend who is producing these for industry trial...

IMG_4249.jpeg.38e9af8972e3e8ab93c36ee6de

Water is drawn through a custom-designed sponge filter, and pumped up into the reservoir. From there, it drains down on the other side, creating a natural flow in the aquarium. I feed the plants up top a weekly diet of liquid plant fertilizers (e.g. Easy Green, etc.)

But you can just get some specially-designed aquarium baskets to hang on the inside / back. Roots will grow down into the water column. Use Lava Rock to hold the plants in place. I buy Lava Rock from Lowes -- pretty cheap. It is porous, and therefore builds up bio over time.

I do recommend adding air for flow, and aerobic bacteria colony benefit.

If you're keeping the tank cold . . . my goodness . . . you should set up a NANF tank (North American Native Fish). But if you're new to the hobby, maybe go easy at first. Here are NANF species I keep...

Rainbow Shiner (Notropis chrosomus -- native to Alabama):

IMG_6456.jpeg.4fdfb1a4b18cf098cdc45cda18

IMG_5213.jpeg.ce40a72042d8b3420c0c00a148

Tomorrow, I am receiving two pairs of Orangethroat Darters (Etheostoma spectabile) by mail:

Screenshot2024-01-11at11_50_01AM.png.dabc80181ec6de1595229da00e3c3914.png

They're very interesting! I've kept NANF in a 29 gal for some time. Here's a still video shot I took some time back...

• Love 3

• 4 weeks later...

I’d be interested to see what your system looks like once it’s going! I’ve wanted to make an aquaponics system for the last decade. Maybe I’ll get around to it sometime soon