how to treat rot ?

anewbie

I have some sort of serious bacteria infection that is rotting the fishes away. The only other sympton is some white dots (episily?); it has been active at least 14 days - i've been waiting to see if water changes will allow the fishes to fight it off. The keri are taking the brunt of the disease; the ember show no real symption at all but one died (i ahve 19 1/2 inch ones). The eque cory - one has the rear tail rot but otherwise no symptons the other 10 or so show no symptons but i think things are getting worse from the keri which have lost most of their dorsal and tail fin. The disease started as white dot disease but i don't think it was ick and has now moved to serious fin and body rot. I'm not concern about the saving the keri tetra they were near eol and i don't love them but i do want to treat it before the cory eques and ember tetra start getting sick.

Not sure if i should treat with rid ick (which is effective against epistylis ); api body cure; fritz maracyn or maybe api melafix. So many different choices and ingrediants. 

I'll probably order on amazon so i can start treating wednesday or maybe stop at petco if they have something in stock - any suggestions? I know no pictures - the rot is ragged not smooth on the keri but it is definitely impacting the body; the fishes that i moved to a larger aquarium seemed to have recovered on their own but the ones named above i can't move.

--

@Colu seems to be the resident expert but maybe someone else has a suggestion. I might have a packet left of api general cure but not enough for a full treatment of a 29.

Edited by anewbie

On 1/8/2024 at 10:30 PM, anewbie said:

I have some sort of serious bacteria infection that is rotting the fishes away. The only other sympton is some white dots (episily?); it has been active at least 14 days - i've been waiting to see if water changes will allow the fishes to fight it off. The keri are taking the brunt of the disease; the ember show no real symption at all but one died (i ahve 19 1/2 inch ones). The eque cory - one has the rear tail rot but otherwise no symptons the other 10 or so show no symptons but i think things are getting worse from the keri which have lost most of their dorsal and tail fin. The disease started as white dot disease but i don't think it was ick and has now moved to serious fin and body rot. I'm not concern about the saving the keri tetra they were near eol and i don't love them but i do want to treat it before the cory eques and ember tetra start getting sick.

Not sure if i should treat with rid ick (which is effective against epistylis ); api body cure; fritz maracyn or maybe api melafix. So many different choices and ingrediants. 

I'll probably order on amazon so i can start treating wednesday or maybe stop at petco if they have something in stock - any suggestions? I know no pictures - the rot is ragged not smooth on the keri but it is definitely impacting the body; the fishes that i moved to a larger aquarium seemed to have recovered on their own but the ones named above i can't move.

--

@Colu seems to be the resident expert but maybe someone else has a suggestion. I might have a packet left of api general cure but not enough for a full treatment of a 29.

If it's spreading to the body it can kill very quickly you want to treat with a combination of kanaplex and jungal fungus clear fizz tabs containing nitrofurazone following this treatment plan for more severe bacterial infections as most bacterial infections in are gram negative the combination of two medication I recommended are very effective 

1000000030.png

On 1/8/2024 at 5:50 PM, Colu said:

If it's spreading to the body it can kill very quickly you want to treat with a combination of kanaplex and jungal fungus clear fizz tabs containing nitrofurazone following this treatment plan for more severe bacterial infections as most bacterial infections in are gram negative the combination of two medication I recommended are very effective 

1000000030.png

If not spreading to the body what do you recommend? My primary concern are the cory eques which show no body infection; i could care less about the 3 keri tetra so my hope is something mild that will protect the eques and ember tetra (which also show no sign of rot).

On 1/8/2024 at 11:52 PM, anewbie said:

If not spreading to the body what do you recommend? My primary concern are the cory eques which show no body infection; i could care less about the 3 keri tetra so my hope is something mild that will protect the eques and ember tetra (which also show no sign of rot).

I would treat with kanaplex if it's only affecting the fins of your Cory's 

• Thanks 1

On 1/8/2024 at 5:55 PM, Colu said:

I would treat with kanaplex if it's only affecting the fins of your Cory's 

I ended up treating with kanaplex (day 1) and rid ick (day 1 and day 3); day 4 (today) I did a 60% water change. As far as i can tell that solved the issue but am watching every day. The two remaining blue-keri perk up in 24 hours and i'll watch to see if their fins regrow. I did have two blue keri die and 1 ember. I kind of was hopeful that clean water would solve the issue which is why i waited so long to treat them (approx 3 weeks). Probably should have treated them sooner. Not happy about the that ember dying; the keri are very very old and i mostly just keep them because well i have that obligation. Hum. rid ick (blue methane + ??) seems to be very effective at curing epistylis.

Edited by anewbie

On 1/11/2024 at 11:45 PM, anewbie said:

I ended up treating with kanaplex (day 1) and rid ick (day 1 and day 3); day 4 (today) I did a 60% water change. As far as i can tell that solved the issue but am watching every day. The two remaining blue-keri perk up in 24 hours and i'll watch to see if their fins regrow. I did have two blue keri die and 1 ember. I kind of was hopeful that clean water would solve the issue which is why i waited so long to treat them (approx 3 weeks). Probably should have treated them sooner. Not happy about the that ember dying; the keri are very very old and i mostly just keep them because well i have that obligation. Hum. rid ick (blue methane + ??) seems to be very effective at curing epistylis.

If I remember rightly active ingredient in kordon rid ick is malachite green and chloride salt kanaplex and malachite green I have found to be effective against epistylis 

• Thanks 1