Columnaris maybe?

Pat.Shaw

Hi y'all!

I picked up 13 Sterbai Corydoras about 10 days ago from my local fish store. They are a little over an inch and were looking a little thin. They have been eating well since moving into their 45 gallon tank (blood worms, repashy, waffers).

Water parameters from using tetra test strips are:

Nitrate - 20ppm

Nitrite - 0

GH - 100-150 ppm 

KH - 40-80ppm

PH - 7.0

Temp - 79-82 ( I live in Texas in an old house )

I have done two rounds of general cure for de-worming. Five days after having them I noticed a white, patch-like pattern on most of cory cats. As of today, I've added Maracyn. Can y'all help me to identify what these little babies have going on? 

Thanks so much for your time!

corycat.jpg

@Cory 

So its been almost a full week since I added one round of maracyn. The white slim/fungus on the corydoras is same. Im happy its not worse!  

My plan going forward was to do a water change then start the 5 day treatment of maracyn and ich-x. Seem like a good plan? or keep feeding well and give it time?

I'm assuming the maracyn will negatively effect my beneficial bacteria? So I will keep a eye on the ammonia and nitrites levels.

Of course everyone is welcome to chime in on this. 

Thank yall so much!

Edited by Pat.Shaw

5 hours ago, Pat.Shaw said:

@Cory 

So its been almost a full week since I added one round of maracyn. The white slim/fungus on the corydoras is same. Im happy its not worse!  

My plan going forward was to do a water change then start the 5 day treatment of maracyn and ich-x. Seem like a good plan? or keep feeding well and give it time?

I'm assuming the maracyn will negatively effect my beneficial bacteria? So I will keep a eye on the ammonia and nitrites levels.

Of course everyone is welcome to chime in on this. 

Thank yall so much!

I didn't have a microscope at the time, so I can't confirm if it was Columnaris or not, but I have treated some of my fish that had what looks similar to what your little corydoras are wearing. I used a combination of Nitrofurazone (Furan 2) and Kanamycin (Kanaplex) to knock it out. It was gone after the week's round of treatments. I simply followed the dosing instructions for both and treated the tank accordingly with both meds at the same time. Nitrofurazone combats gram positive and some gram negative bacteria, while Kanamycin treats gram negative and some gram positive bacteria. So they cover the whole spectrum on both sides. The tanks I treated had corydoras in them and they didn't seem to have any issues. Both manufacturers also say they are safe for sensitive fish.

Disclaimer, this was before I had ever tried Maracyn and I haven't had it show up in any tanks since I added Maracyn to my arsenal. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

I have lost one of the 13 corys. 

I have done a full 5 day treatment of maracyn and ich-x with no change in the white fuzz. So I did a water change and now im finishing a round of Furan 2 and Kanaplex with still no change. I have been following the instructions on the packages and today is the last day of the recommended dosing.

I will also note that the 2 hillstream loaches, 1 molly, and 1 siamese algae eater are doing well and have no signs of this infection.

Should I water change out the meds and see if the infection will work it self out with clean water and good food? One thing I have not tried is salt. I was next going to move the fish out of the planted tank and add salt. 

Any suggestions please.