UNS 60s Flow Issues

sairving

My shallow 10 gallon tank has been setup for about a month now. Originally, I tried to put a Sicce Whale on the tank. I could not get the filter working and the cabinet was too restrictive. 

Next, I tried an internal filter from Aquatop. The flow was too strong for the rice fish and white clouds. 

I went back to using a Seachem Tidal 35. Which is fine for about half the tank. The other half has no flow. 

My first thought was a small internal filter on the right side of the tank. Maybe a small power head

I would try the small Oase canister filter but reviews say it's loud. 

This was taken right after setup. More plants are in the tank now. PXL_20231206_121030178.jpg.2beae79c592a4997fddd633dc219bc8d.jpg

On 12/28/2023 at 7:19 PM, DallasCowboys16 said:

Any reason why you wouldn’t want to just throw a small sponge filter in there and call it a day?

A small internal filter like those that tetra makes is a pretty good alternative as well.

Oftentimes on small or atypically sized tanks, trying to use HOBs or canisters is more trouble than it is worth.

The tank is only 7.9 inches deep. 

On 12/28/2023 at 7:36 PM, ColBud said:

Hard to tell from the picture if you have floating plants. If you do not you could try a skimmer. I know that I don’t care for the buildup on the surface with open tanks. 

I added duckweed to the tank about a few weeks back. The main issue is the entire right side of the tank has no flow whatsoever. 

I added a micron nano. We'll see if that helps. 

On 12/28/2023 at 9:48 AM, sairving said:

I went back to using a Seachem Tidal 35. Which is fine for about half the tank. The other half has no flow. 

Is the filter on end?

The tidal 35 is pretty strong and the way the exit is designed on the title can work "well". 

On 12/28/2023 at 9:48 AM, sairving said:

I tried to put a Sicce Whale on the tank. I could not get the filter working and the cabinet was too restrictive. 

If it has a spraybar output this might work.  You can try to put it beside the cabinet instead of in it.

On 12/28/2023 at 10:26 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Is the filter on end?

The tidal 35 is pretty strong and the way the exit is designed on the title can work "well". 

If it has a spraybar output this might work.  You can try to put it beside the cabinet instead of in it.

The tidal is on the left side of the tank. it's the other side that has been the issue. I added a Sicce micron nano on the right side.

The canister filter was frustrating to try and get working. I may give it another try. 

• Like 1

On 12/29/2023 at 4:21 AM, sairving said:

The tidal is on the left side of the tank. it's the other side that has been the issue. I added a Sicce micron nano on the right side.

Alright. Yeah the reason I ask is just trying to think of the oomph you'd need to get the flow across. Usually 6-10x the GPH on the pump is pretty good for that. If it's purely due to the length then maybe it's purely about needing some sort of a spraybar, unfortunately common with longer tanks.

@sairving idk if you clicked the link I provided but it’s a tiny internal filter with a spray bar. It’s like 9 bucks. I took out the carbon and run poly fil in that chamber instead. Works great on my 20 long with the spray bar pointed across the long side of the tank. I have the spray bar pointed slightly up so as to not disturb the botanicals on the bottom of the tank. 9 bucks well spent for me. 

• Like 2