New to forum, but have kept fish for 30 years.

Angiemike6

Hi all. My name is Mike and I am from Bristol in the UK. I have a Juwel Vision 180 litre tank at the moment and absolutely love it. It has a lovely curved front, and both it and the filter is so easy to keep clean. I have been keeping community fish now for 30 years. These days I tend to overstock my tank, but do not get fish dying or becoming ill. I do weekly water changes of about 35%, and only feed the fish 3 times a week. I have Boesemani Rainbowfish, Clown loaches, Congo Tetras, Bolivian Ram, Albino Corys, Golden Gourami, Plecs, Golden Dwarf Cichlid and Cardinal Tetras. Most of the above fish are about 8/10 years of age. Although I do have 2 Cardinal Tetras, they will not be replaced when they die as I find it very difficult these days to keep them alive. When I first started my aquarium I cycled my first tank on 6 Cardinal Tetras and they all survived. Perhaps these days they are mainly produced in fish farms, rather than from the wild, and have become weak. Any suggestions on this would be greatly appreciated. I am really looking forward to this forum.

• Like 2

On 12/24/2023 at 2:06 PM, Angiemike6 said:

Cardinal Tetras and they all survived. Perhaps these days they are mainly produced in fish farms, rather than from the wild, and have become weak. Any suggestions on this would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to the forum.  
Many fish that a few decades ago were considered hardy beginners fish have been severely overbred weakening them.  
I find the more popular a fish has become the weaker it has also become.  
It’s sad but I would still rather see them bred at farms than the wild strip mined of such glorious creatures.