New Stocking Ideas

NOLANANO

I have a 75 Gallon planted aquarium and have kind of hit a lull in my hobby evolution and am looking for ideas of what to do next.

Parameters:

79-80 degrees

7.5 PH

0 ppm of ammonia, nitrate, or nitrite (thank you plants!)

Not sure of exact number but the water is on the harder end.

I currently have the following stocking:

11 Neon tetra

9 Rummynose tetra

8 panda cories

3 Pearl Gourami

1 Julii Cory (rescue)

1 Bristlenose Pleco

1 CPO Crawfish

1 Amano Shrimp

1 Gold Ram (last survivor)

I have done rams for a while now and they are great but I think I am ready for something else but I am not sure what direction to go in.  I have had most of the fish in this tank for 2-3 years and don't love the idea of trading them in and don't have another tank to move them to so I think I want my next feature fish to be able to co-habitate (is that a word) with what I currently have. This eliminates most cichlids African or South American.  I eventually want to do an Mbuna tank but right now I feel like I am not ready to abandon the planted tank. Also with my children's after school schedules (dancing, sports, etc.) I don't have a ton of time to do maintenance and rely on the plants to keep the water clean.

Current ideas that I am playing with:

1) Betta Sorority - I have never been super into Bettas because you can only keep one in a tank for the most part and it really limits the tankmates and I am really into community tanks with a variety of species. But a sorority might be fun. My fear is that it will go wrong and I will have wasted money to watch fish kill each other. My other issue is that none of the LFSs have a good Betta selection so I would have to order online. This drives the price up with shipping and I have had bad experiences in the past of getting fish that don't have the best coloration that I would not have picked out if I saw them in the store. I'd also have to figure out how to lessen the flow coming out of my cannister filter but I feel like I could figure that one out if I went this route.

2) Rainbow Fish - I have never really been into rainbow fish but the colors are striking and they are active.  My main issue with this route is that I can only stock so many in a 75G tank and I'd want a few of multiple varieties but based on research it seems like these are best kept in decent size groups.  Could these be kept in pairs or with 2 males of a certain type and no females? The main draw to these is that I think my kids and guests would be drawn to the colors. This idea would be more for others than myself but, who knows, maybe I'm a rainbow guy and don't even know it.

3) Angel Fish - Similar to rainbows, I have never really given angel fish the time of day. They have always seemed pretty boring to me and from what I have read, they eventually pair up and kill each other. But looking for a new direction to go, this could be an option. They would fit well with my current stocking for the most part as well. The only fish they might beef with is the gouramis considering they occupy the same water level. The pro to Angel fish is that I could still do rams if I wanted.  Angel fish just don't excite me though. Maybe someone in this thread can convince me otherwise.

4) More schooling fish - Maybe I should abandon the centerpiece type fish idea and get more schooling fish. Maybe I could get some Odessa barbs, Congo tetra, Harlequin Rasbora, and/or chili rasbora. Maybe even add a second species of Cories or stock up on more panda cories.  This idea seems fun but my draw back is that schooling fish are kind of mindless.  I enjoy watching my rams have territory disputes and search the tank for food. With all schooling fish, I would miss out on that aspect of it. But like I said before, I don't have a ton of time to dedicate to the tank and don't get to watch the happenings of the rams very often anyway. So maybe colorful schools would be better for the time being. Now that I am typing this out, this idea is growing on me.

Just looking for anyone's opinion on any of these ideas and maybe some suggestions that I haven't thought of myself.

• Like 3

I have a very very similar stocking :) tbh most of your options are a no go

Betta sororities almost never work and are too risky to attempt 

Most rainbow fish like bosemani need like 120cm length and current to swim against and you do not have that. Same for odessa barbs, longer the better and they are a bit too large if compared to neons. And they can be nippy. I do not have enough knowledge about angelfish.

Your best option really is increasing the numbers of current school, especially corydoras, but pick the same variety, they don't really school amongst themselves. You could also increase the rummynose to like 15.

I absolutely adored my harlequin rasboras. They were so much fun and active and can't recommend enough. 

Aren't your pearl gourami enough of a centerpiece colorful fish? I have had mine only for a while but they are fun 

• Like 1

On the contrary, in my opinion, rainbows are definitely an option. For one, there are many species of various sizes. Your 75g is plenty big enough (that is 120cm tank), even for the larger ones, but maybe not with all your current fish. In my experience, rainbows are fine as singles or pairs in mixed rainbow groups. If you are worried about them being too big for the tank, considering your current fish, you can look into the smaller species. see the article: https://www.aquariumcoop.com/blogs/aquarium/top-10-rainbowfish. If you like the classic rainbow behavior and shape, the dwarf neon rainbows are great fish that only get ~3 inches long. Mine are very active and the males will "dance fight", but never physically hurt each other or bully each other to the point of detrimental stress.

One consideration though, is that the dwarf neons and the larger rainbows are very fast, strong fish, and go crazy for food, so you would want to make sure that your other fish are getting enough to eat.

• Thanks 1

On 12/21/2023 at 3:13 PM, beastie said:

1) Betta sororities almost never work and are too risky to attempt 

2) Most rainbow fish like bosemani need like 120cm length and current to swim against and you do not have that.

3) Same for odessa barbs, longer the better and they are a bit too large if compared to neons. And they can be nippy.

4) I do not have enough knowledge about angelfish.

5) You could also increase the rummynose to like 15.

6) I absolutely adored my harlequin rasboras. They were so much fun and active and can't recommend enough. 

7) Aren't your pearl gourami enough of a centerpiece colorful fish? I have had mine only for a while but they are fun 

1) Thats kinda where I am at with the bettas. Just not worth the risk and sourcing them would be kind of difficult.

2) My 75G is 120cm across but I am shying away from rainbows because they like to be kept in groups and they are just too big (for the most part) to keep multiple species in a 75G. Maybe I can do a small school of Dwarf Neon Rainbows along with other things but like you said, they like a lot of flow and I have moderate flow at best currently. And the Gouramis don't love flow and what I currently have is probably too much for them.

3) I am afraid of all Barbs for this reason. I also looked up that Odessas really like colder water than what I have so they are out.

4) If I'm honest, I don't want angelfish anyway.

5) My issue with the rummynose is that I have black sand and a black background. It really makes my plants, rams, and neons pop but it makes my rummynose drab. What I pictured when I got them was a fish with a bright white body and a bright red nose. What I have is a fish with a darkened grayish body and a red nose. I didn't realize that their body isn't naturally white by itself but more translucent and it "mirrors" the surroundings. I don't think I am going to add anymore of them.

6) I have been looking into either Harlequin or Chili Rasbora. I love the reddish tone and think they'd look great in the tank.

7) My problem with my pearl Gouramis is that I have 2 females and a male and one of the females is MUCH larger than the other 2 and is the boss.  I used to have a mated pair years ago that were wonderful and the male would build bubble nests and show off for the female and had the most wonderful colors.  But with these 3, none of them seems interested in pairing and while they mostly get along, the bigger female at times asserts her dominance. Not in any way that harms the other two but she will chase them off when she's in a mood.  The male also never shows off to the females either.  What temperature do you keep you Gouramis at? My mated pair were kept at like 75ish as opposed to the 80 degrees that my current tank is at. Also how slow of growers are they? I have had the 3 of them for at least a year and probably closer to 18 months and I would have expected the male to grow more than he has. Maybe I need more to spread out the aggression and create some male competition?

The idea that I am playing with now is to get some Rocket Killifish, Some of the Rasboras that we mentioned earlier, some different varieties if male Endlers (I loved these little guys) and then getting some neocardina Shrimp for the bottom of the tank as well.  Maybe a nice Bamboo shrimp to add something a little different. Plus get more Amanos to help clean up.

Either that or get an Amazon puffer or 6. But if I go this route, I would have to rehome/trade in some fish to make it work.

On 12/21/2023 at 3:32 PM, thecuttywren said:

On the contrary, in my opinion, rainbows are definitely an option. For one, there are many species of various sizes. Your 75g is plenty big enough (that is 120cm tank), even for the larger ones, but maybe not with all your current fish. In my experience, rainbows are fine as singles or pairs in mixed rainbow groups. If you are worried about them being too big for the tank, considering your current fish, you can look into the smaller species. see the article: https://www.aquariumcoop.com/blogs/aquarium/top-10-rainbowfish. If you like the classic rainbow behavior and shape, the dwarf neon rainbows are great fish that only get ~3 inches long. Mine are very active and the males will "dance fight", but never physically hurt each other or bully each other to the point of detrimental stress.

One consideration though, is that the dwarf neons and the larger rainbows are very fast, strong fish, and go crazy for food, so you would want to make sure that your other fish are getting enough to eat.

I was thinking about Dward Neon Rainbows as an option. How many should be kept in a school?

I also like the body shape of Madagascar Rainbows but they don't get very colorful. 

Edited by NOLANANO

The reason why i didn't recommend any of the pseudomugil is because they are from shallow waters and everyone keeping them in larger tank reports them being super shy. And they pop the most in a dimply lit tank. People moving them from like 200 liters to 60 report way better behavior.

My Pearl gourami are at 25 degrees as is the rest of the tank and i only had them few months but they live up to several years so 🙂 i have a male and a female and they chase each other occasionally through the whole length anyways. 

Chilli rasboras are too tiny for your tank. I have ember tetras instead of your neons and they are red but oh so boring. Check out my journal the tank is there somewhere.

Consider a blood parrot (or a few). I have one and it's a lot of fun. Fun behavior and stunning color.20231222_145248.jpg.d254fcfa3b6fadbcbd20927e1567f6f8.jpg

Also, I think a T- bar cichlid would work fine. I love mine. It's like a pocket sized flowerhorn, mine even has a nuchal hump! 😀

I also have two angels and they are fine. More elegant than exciting, but definitely not mindless.

I also have two spotted raphael catfish which are super peaceful but I hardly ever see them.

Btw, my tank is around 100 gallons. 

Edit: While I'm at it, maybe I should mention my entire stocking. 😅

Besides the above I have the following

3 Congo tetras

5 blue gouramis 

1 geophagus tapajos

5 Tomasi cichlids

2-3 odessa barbs (remnants of a larger school)

1 silver flying fox

Oh and 1 Senegal bichir to top it off 😅

The tank is planted.

I've had this stocking for at least a year or two and never had any issues.

Edited by Robert K

I almost got some dwarf tomasi cichlids the other day but I didn't know much about them so I went home to research. turns out the internet doesn't have much to report on these either lol. 

I always thought Parrot cichlids were relatively aggressive and couldn't be kept in a community unless it was other larger cichlids?

On 12/21/2023 at 3:49 PM, beastie said:

Check out my journal the tank is there somewhere.

I love your Asian tank. The white cloud minnows really pop. Any reason you didn't put your Pearl Gouramis in there considering they are Asian fish?

On 12/21/2023 at 11:29 PM, NOLANANO said:

love your Asian tank. The white cloud minnows really pop. Any reason you didn't put your Pearl Gouramis in there considering they are Asian fish?

The tank has no heater so mostly at 19-21 degrees C and high flow. Not every asia likes every asia :)) i tried paradise fish there for a while but had to give it away. Angry fella. 

For thomasi cichlids do you mean Anomalochromis thomasi? They could work but might be shy. I like my bolivian rams way more 🙂

On 12/21/2023 at 4:35 PM, beastie said:

The tank has no heater so mostly at 19-21 degrees C and high flow. Not every asia likes every asia :)) i tried paradise fish there for a while but had to give it away. Angry fella. 

For thomasi cichlids do you mean Anomalochromis thomasi? They could work but might be shy. I like my bolivian rams way more 🙂

image.png.e48c97934ff08475f05b438e6f0fb1a3.png

image.png.37225a0425048eb26900e3cf212cdf6c.png

I think so. The LFS had them listed as just Dwarf Thomasi but they looked a lot like these pictures depending on the angle.

• Love 1

A group of Whiptails based on your choice! Oddball and interesting to have. I have both red lizards and twigs (got them recently) . Royals next I hope🤗

Red lizard whiptails (L010a)

image.png.8a3d8cb9da35aa4a9d3332220e8962e1.png

Twig Catfish

image.png.9ba41bff3192197c87f9d258f0a100af.png

Royal Farlowella

image.png.9be76b88f8d3a7ec7462c0cb36ced59c.png

Edited by Lennie

On 12/22/2023 at 1:53 AM, NOLANANO said:

@Lennie will the whip tails eat shrimp?

I would not like to misinform, but I currently do have shrimp in both red lizard and twig catfish tanks. I'm pretty new to twigs and if I am not mistaken farlowellas are more about algae grazing and snacking on algae tabs and sometimes veggies offered. My red lizards don't really eat shrimp I think, I keep them together with shrimp for a quite long time by now. They are more like cories I suppose. If the baby shrimp end up in their mouth, they may eat it buy they wouldn't go hunt any specifically.

With only a few days of experience with twigs, the addition of shrimp to their tank made them feel comfier. Shrimp sometimes mistake them as branches going on top of them lol

Edited by Lennie

On 12/21/2023 at 2:53 PM, NOLANANO said:

what are your thoughts on Rocket Killis and Pearl Gouramis in the same tank? Do rocket killis need flow or would they rather little to no flow?

Rocket killis come from a very similar niche to gourami. They both live in stagnant pools.

Here's info about where rocket killis come from if you're curious: https://cefishessentials.com/blog/biotopes-of-africa-epiplatys-annulatus-the-clown-killifish/

I would be more cautious about aggression from the gourami. They both spend a lot of time at the top and the killis are much smaller.

I haven't kept either of these species though. So take this with a grain of salt.

On 12/21/2023 at 9:44 AM, NOLANANO said:

4) More schooling fish - Maybe I should abandon the centerpiece type fish idea and get more schooling fish. Maybe I could get some Odessa barbs, Congo tetra, Harlequin Rasbora, and/or chili rasbora. Maybe even add a second species of Cories or stock up on more panda cories.  This idea seems fun but my draw back is that schooling fish are kind of mindless.  I enjoy watching my rams have territory disputes and search the tank for food. With all schooling fish, I would miss out on that aspect of it. But like I said before, I don't have a ton of time to dedicate to the tank and don't get to watch the happenings of the rams very often anyway. So maybe colorful schools would be better for the time being. Now that I am typing this out, this idea is growing on me.

Basically this sort of a recommendation would be for whenever the current stocking is elsewhere, rehomed, or you're just at a point where the species in the tank make sense for the care parameters of the new fish.

I would highly recommend a bunch of schools of cypranidae species.  Odessa barbs, tiger barbs, rasboras, danios, white clouds, etc.  These fish like a cooler tank (72-74) and would do well with things like a lot of your loaches, corydoras, etc.  This also expands things where you might have a centerpiece fish like a rainbow shark or something you enjoy. I would swap out the pandas, but I do love them, for something you find interesting just to try out a new corydoras species.  From there, it's up to what you want to do.  The reason being, is that interacting with the tank is so enjoyable with how feisty and aggressive they are at times.  Very active when they want to be, and it's just an enjoyable type of fish that really works well in a 75G setup.

On 12/21/2023 at 2:58 PM, Lennie said:
On 12/21/2023 at 2:53 PM, NOLANANO said:

@Lennie will the whip tails eat shrimp?

I would not like to misinform, but I currently do have shrimp in both red lizard and twig catfish tanks. I'm pretty new to twigs and if I am not mistaken farlowellas are more about algae grazing and snacking on algae tabs and sometimes veggies offered. My red lizards don't really eat shrimp I think, I keep them together with shrimp for a quite long time by now. They are more like cories I suppose. If the baby shrimp end up in their mouth, they may eat it buy they wouldn't go hunt any specifically.

With only a few days of experience with twigs, the addition of shrimp to their tank made them feel comfier. Shrimp sometimes mistake them as branches going on top of them lol

What I have been finding, even with my swordtails in the shrimp....

I tried the younger swordtails in the tank and they went a bit nuts going after baby shrimp.  When I had the shrimp and swords in the 75G, the shrimp hid, were able to hide, and took about 2-3 months to acclimate to being around those fish.  After that, the shrimp were safe and the swords didn't really bug them.  It's very likely that a lot of fish predate on baby shrimp, especially under a few weeks old, but it's a situation where setup can be key. 

A lot of fish aren't designed for going after shrimp, so if they go after shrimp and they get one, they can choke on it.  Just be careful with it and the recommendation is always to go with shrimp first, let them establish a base, then add in your fish after that.  Expect some losses, but individual fish behavior varies.  The shrimp will adapt to what you add to the tank.

On 12/21/2023 at 11:53 PM, NOLANANO said:

what are your thoughts on Rocket Killis and Pearl Gouramis in the same tank? Do rocket killis need flow or would they rather little to no flow?

I would say absolutely not but due to the size and timidness. I have 6 clown killifish (those are the rockets you mean right?) and they are like pea sized and take forever to notice food. I would be mildly worried the pearl gourami would eat them alongside his food by mistake 🙂 They would not enjoy boisterous company or bright light or movement of the water cause they are just too nano. 

You could try one of the hatchetfish, but they are just so... but so far they work swell with my pearls (hatchetfish have been there for 2 years, the pearl gourami just a month and half, so my experience is still invalid)

IMG_1021.JPG.2fa3a0b3a639f8d4788808b7ad63a019.JPG

I would still lean forward one of the rasboras like espei or hengeli or zebra danios. Active, fun, peaceful, not too large bioload like livebearers would be, will work with neons and rummynose.

Or make a different change, replace the sand, replant, redo the decor, increase the current schools and have a same but different experience

Edited by beastie

On 12/21/2023 at 9:52 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Basically this sort of a recommendation would be for whenever the current stocking is elsewhere, rehomed, or you're just at a point where the species in the tank make sense for the care parameters of the new fish.

I would highly recommend a bunch of schools of cypranidae species.  Odessa barbs, tiger barbs, rasboras, danios, white clouds, etc.  These fish like a cooler tank (72-74) and would do well with things like a lot of your loaches, corydoras, etc.  This also expands things where you might have a centerpiece fish like a rainbow shark or something you enjoy. I would swap out the pandas, but I do love them, for something you find interesting just to try out a new corydoras species.  From there, it's up to what you want to do.  The reason being, is that interacting with the tank is so enjoyable with how feisty and aggressive they are at times.  Very active when they want to be, and it's just an enjoyable type of fish that really works well in a 75G setup.

This is an interesting idea that I never considered. I always shy away from barbs because they are too aggressive for many tank mates BUT if I lean into that and surround them with like kind then maybe that could work. My favorite part of ram behavior is the territory disputes. More specifically the disputes between equals where no fish gets injured and lines are eventually drawn and defended. Maybe this route would give me that in spades.

Would I need a chiller to keep the tank at that low of temperatures? Idk if I want to go this route if a chiller is involved.  Could Hillstream loaches do well or are they too delicate?  

On 12/22/2023 at 2:32 AM, beastie said:

I would say absolutely not but due to the size and timidness. I have 6 clown killifish (those are the rockets you mean right?) and they are like pea sized and take forever to notice food. I would be mildly worried the pearl gourami would eat them alongside his food by mistake 🙂 They would not enjoy boisterous company or bright light or movement of the water cause they are just too nano. 

Dang it. I have wanted clown Killis (aka Rocket Killis) for a while but similar to hillstream loaches and pea puffers, they never seem to work with my tank setup.  I might have to try to convince my wife to let me have a second nano tank to get these guys.

On 12/22/2023 at 10:16 AM, NOLANANO said:

My favorite part of ram behavior is the territory disputes. More specifically the disputes between equals where no fish gets injured and lines are eventually drawn and defended.

Your tank parameters are perfect for Laetacara dorsigera. 
These have the Ram behavior. Boys dig holes and defend them. Very Ram like behavior.  Peaceful to other tank mates. Might get testy if they breed but try to just shoo away intruders vs kill intruders the way Apisto do. 

I started with a group of 5 in a 20 long. I only got 1 female so rehomed the other boys. But it was peaceful. They talk with their color and pattern so change quite rapidly. I adore mine. Beautiful fish. Same type personality as rams but much hardier. 

More about them in the link in my signature is my journal for them  

On 12/22/2023 at 9:39 AM, Guppysnail said:

Your tank parameters are perfect for Laetacara dorsigera. 
These have the Ram behavior. Boys dig holes and defend them. Very Ram like behavior.  Peaceful to other tank mates. Might get testy if they breed but try to just shoo away intruders vs kill intruders the way Apisto do. 

I started with a group of 5 in a 20 long. I only got 1 female so rehomed the other boys. But it was peaceful. They talk with their color and pattern so change quite rapidly. I adore mine. Beautiful fish. Same type personality as rams but much hardier. 

How much do they dig? I have stem plants that will come up if they dig a lot.

the toughest thing about planted community tanks is finding the fish that can live together that you enjoy. 

On 12/22/2023 at 10:58 AM, NOLANANO said:

How much do they dig? I have stem plants that will come up if they dig a lot.

the toughest thing about planted community tanks is finding the fish that can live together that you enjoy. 

Not dig like that. They find a secluded spot where no plants are and shallow out a hole. They have never disturbed any of my rooted plants. Other than the holes for their new babies they do not dig. 
They are just like rams in that fashion. 100 percent planted tank friendly 

• Like 1

On 12/22/2023 at 7:16 AM, NOLANANO said:

Would I need a chiller to keep the tank at that low of temperatures? Idk if I want to go this route if a chiller is involved.  Could Hillstream loaches do well or are they too delicate?  

Barbs + Hill stream do well together.

Barbs fight with themselves, not necessarily with other fish. If you have 2-3 schools in there they will just school to keep their group safe from the others.

In mine, I had Tigers and Odessa. And the world's most intense and static single white cloud. They never bothered that little fish despite there being just one and it was basically snack size.

No chiller required. During the summer I just pull heaters out. In winter, the heaters are set lower.

On 12/22/2023 at 10:42 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

No chiller required. During the summer I just pull heaters out. In winter, the heaters are set lower.

I just put a heater back in my tank as my previous one broke and during the summer, my tank sits at around 77-78 degrees naturally given that the tank is near the front door but in the winter is fell to around 74-75 degrees which made me replace my heater. Would these fish do OK at 77-78 degrees or will I need to figure that out?

On 12/22/2023 at 8:46 AM, NOLANANO said:

Would these fish do OK at 77-78 degrees or will I need to figure that out?

Permanently, you'd want to add extra oxygenation. It would mean a reduced lifespan because the increase in temperature boosts their metabolism.

I wouldn't keep them over 76 if I didn't have to. What is the temperature of the room in winter?

I do have an air stone so there is some extra oxygen going into the water. I have a backup air pump in storage that I could pull out if necessary.  I see in the video you attached that Tiger Barbs at least can be kept with Rams so maybe I can do a little old with a little new.  or use the Laetacara dorsigera instead of rams if I can find some.

I assume that the Gouramis and Neons would need to go but do you think the Rummynose and Cories would be an issue?  Cories kind of keep to themselves and the rummynose are fast so I wonder is they would be ok?

@Guppysnail FYI when I googled (well Binged considering my browser defaults to Bing) Laetacara dorsigera, your journal on this forum is the first item that is suggested. You're apparently the world's premier expert on the species!

Edited by NOLANANO
  • Haha 1

Accidentally.  I ordered laetacara curviceps from a place in Florida. They sent me these. Apparently it’s well known in the Cichlid hobby (to everyone but me) that the farm in Florida breeds and sells dorsigera red breast as curviceps. Beautiful and healthy. Just not curviceps 🤣

I was trying to get a mate for my curviceps  and these showed up obviously not curviceps. I will dm you the link. 

• Like 1