Nerite and mystery snail lifespan

GreenSorceress

I recently looked up nerite snail lifespan online and I was shocked to find most places are saying 1-3 years. I have a couple nerite snails that I know I got on a Black Friday sale in 2018 from aquatic arts meaning they are 5 years old now. (Several from that group have passed away but a few have survived this long.) Just wondering is that 1-3 years lifespan in the wild? I honestly don’t think I took particularly good care of these ones, so maybe just lack of predators lengthens the lifespan and this is typical in the hobby. How long does everyone else’s nerites tend to live? 

• Love 1

I have one nerite that has been with me for just over 4 years now. And it wasn't teeny tiny when I got it (however that may relate to age, idk.) I've also lost 2 within 3 months of getting them. They were a different species (long lifer is a black racer, the two that died were zebras) and much larger when I got them.

Then I've got 5 others of 3 species that I've had more than a few months, but not outside the timeframe that the online guides suggest, yet.

@Guppysnail can probably advise on the mystery snail lifespan.

Ok, I went back through my journal for purchase dates.

My two other black racers I've had since July of 2022. My red onion and my two horned nerites I've had since January of 2023. (The horned ones are still absolutely tiny!)

And it looks like I'd had the zebras longer than I thought. Probably 9 months to a year before they passed.

Edited by Katherine
  • Like 1

On 12/16/2023 at 11:11 AM, Katherine said:

Ok, I went back through my journal for purchase dates.

My two other black racers I've had since July of 2022. My red onion and my two horned nerites I've had since January of 2023. (The horned ones are still absolutely tiny!)

And it looks like I'd had the zebras longer than I thought. Probably 9 months to a year before they passed.

Oh that is so smart to keep a journal. I’m gonna start doing that! Seems like lifespan varies greatly and I just got lucky with a few of mine.

On 12/16/2023 at 11:32 AM, Guppysnail said:

18 months is average.  Fir me some are 12 months some are 24. 

Darn! I was hoping it was longer and the internet was using a conservative lifespan. Just like with the nerites. Thanks for the info.

• Like 2

Nerites are usually wild caught. so their age when you buy them is questionable.  1-3 years seems to be the accepted lifespan.  Three of my four lasted four years.  #4 just completed it's fifth year with me.  It is going (and growing) better than ever.  It is at least 5 years old, but might also be 6 years or ?