Wasting away pearl gouramis

Colette

image.jpg.120cdca880336cde840ea0d91f07c48d.jpgimage.jpg.5393cb1115a6de4e7712adcb9fedbfd5.jpgimage.jpg.42f763c07959b6221fbf3d18e0dbf1c8.jpgHi, I have 3 adult female pearls.  Owned 9 months.  Same local fish store, from same tank.  
One fish bossy, nippy entire time. But they all did well until recently.

Now, the 2 sweet pearl females refuse food, thin, pale.  Ongoing for 2 weeks for 1 pearl, few days, other pearl.  Tried one dose of Expel P.   Tried all types if food.  Water parameters normal.  pH 7   Nitate 10 Nitrites 0   GH 180  kH 80.  These are the parameters all year in this tank.   Temp-78.

No obvious red worms observed.  Scales, fins open and healthy.  Tank has been Gen Cured several times in last year due to platys and suspected worms.  

All other fish in same tank an angel, 18 platys,1 guppy, 2 shrimp and pleco doing just fine and healthy currently.  75 gall tank with Oase 600 filter.  20% weekly water changes. 

Any other thoughts/ advice?   

Thank you kindly. 

On 12/12/2023 at 1:14 PM, Colette said:

image.jpg.120cdca880336cde840ea0d91f07c48d.jpgimage.jpg.5393cb1115a6de4e7712adcb9fedbfd5.jpgimage.jpg.42f763c07959b6221fbf3d18e0dbf1c8.jpgHi, I have 3 adult female pearls.  Owned 9 months.  Same local fish store, from same tank.  
One fish bossy, nippy entire time. But they all did well until recently.

Now, the 2 sweet pearl females refuse food, thin, pale.  Ongoing for 2 weeks for 1 pearl, few days, other pearl.  Tried one dose of Expel P.   Tried all types if food.  Water parameters normal.  pH 7   Nitate 10 Nitrites 0   GH 180  kH 80.  These are the parameters all year in this tank.   Temp-78.

No obvious red worms observed.  Scales, fins open and healthy.  Tank has been Gen Cured several times in last year due to platys and suspected worms.  

All other fish in same tank an angel, 18 platys,1 guppy, 2 shrimp and pleco doing just fine and healthy currently.  75 gall tank with Oase 600 filter.  20% weekly water changes. 

Any other thoughts/ advice?   

Thank you kindly. 

any rapid breathing hanging out near the surface lethargy flashing spitting food out sunken belly 

Edited by Colu

On 12/12/2023 at 8:02 AM, Colu said:

any rapid breathing hanging out near the surface lethargy flashing spitting food out sunken belly 

no rapid breathing, water parameters stated above and report normal /stable for this tank.    sunken belly yes, spitting out food, yes.

The gouramis Still want to see me but one does stay solitary most of the day.  I was going to buy fresh flake food just in case it is stale but the other fish have been eating it.  Angel fish did spit out flakes today so I will buy fresh tonight for sure. I

am also in close communication with the local fish store I purchased all my fish from. They have the same advice you all do. Which I appreciate!   IF ever in Chicago, Check out Ocean Design Aquarium.  Local mom and pop with a delightful array of salt and fresh water fish. 

I really love these gouramis and hope they recover here soon.  They are too thin. Thank you for your help!! 

On 12/12/2023 at 2:19 PM, Colette said:

no rapid breathing, water parameters stated above and report normal /stable for this tank.    sunken belly yes, spitting out food, yes.

The gouramis Still want to see me but one does stay solitary most of the day.  I was going to buy fresh flake food just in case it is stale but the other fish have been eating it.  Angel fish did spit out flakes today so I will buy fresh tonight for sure. I

am also in close communication with the local fish store I purchased all my fish from. They have the same advice you all do. Which I appreciate!   IF ever in Chicago, Check out Ocean Design Aquarium.  Local mom and pop with a delightful array of salt and fresh water fish. 

I really love these gouramis and hope they recover here soon.  They are too thin. Thank you for your help!! 

Weight loss and spitting food can be a sign of wasting disease you would want to treat once a week for 4 weeks with expel p black out the tank for 24hrs during treatment as the medication is light sensitive and do a thorough gravel vac after treatment to remove as many expelled parasites and eggs from the gravel if you only feeding flake I would also feed frozen brine shrimp daphnia   a couple of times a week as well 

Edited by Colu

Levamisole (Expel P) is a good plan. I will say, when I have had cases of wasting that involved spitting food, I have had FAR better results with Flubendazole. It isn't as easy to work with, but was (and usually is) a better alternative for me personally, based on success rate and very fast positive results.