Planted 20 gallon long

Floating hornwort or guppy grass fills in fast.  It provides cover for fish and makes them feel safe. 

My Cories all like to rest on anubias leaves Your betta probably will as well. I would glue some moss on the wood to deter algae growing on it. Unless you like the algae look (I do). 

• Like 2

On 12/8/2023 at 11:11 PM, Gloomy-pickle said:

What would you plant, what would its placement be and what should be attached to the wood?

Hm. That slope in the back really limits what you could grow in the back. Essentially you're looking at a big carpet I would think as opposed to something like stem plants as a focus.

In the back, something like staurogyne repens might be really beautiful and give you that visual appearance of stems without growing too quickly or very tall.

In the foreground, I would stick towards something that isn't tall like monte carlo.

On the wood, I'm not sure what would fit. A lot of mosses will overgrow that area pretty quickly I think. I would stick to buce or anubias nana petite.

If the tank is such that you do have a ton of room and height for stems and bigger plants then it would be interesting to do a micro sword or hairgrass carpet. S. Repens in the mid ground would be cool around the base of the wood. Having hygrophila pinatifida would be a great one to have. For shrimp and corydoras having bigger leaves, wider leaves on things like crypts or swords will be helpful for their grazing behavior and laying eggs. I would actually use things like crypts around the midground as a contrast with the SRep and it's bright green leaves.  There's a lot of really colorful swords, crypts that work well in the  background. 

In terms of all of those fish you're wanting to have with a Betta, I would highly encourage checking the temperature recommendations for the species you plan to keep and ensure compatibility.

• Like 2

On 12/14/2023 at 3:44 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

Hm. That slope in the back really limits what you could grow in the back. Essentially you're looking at a big carpet I would think as opposed to something like stem plants as a focus.

In the back, something like staurogyne repens might be really beautiful and give you that visual appearance of stems without growing too quickly or very tall.

In the foreground, I would stick towards something that isn't tall like monte carlo.

On the wood, I'm not sure what would fit. A lot of mosses will overgrow that area pretty quickly I think. I would stick to buce or anubias nana petite.

If the tank is such that you do have a ton of room and height for stems and bigger plants then it would be interesting to do a micro sword or hairgrass carpet. S. Repens in the mid ground would be cool around the base of the wood. Having hygrophila pinatifida would be a great one to have. For shrimp and corydoras having bigger leaves, wider leaves on things like crypts or swords will be helpful for their grazing behavior and laying eggs. I would actually use things like crypts around the midground as a contrast with the SRep and it's bright green leaves.  There's a lot of really colorful swords, crypts that work well in the  background. 

In terms of all of those fish you're wanting to have with a Betta, I would highly encourage checking the temperature recommendations for the species you plan to keep and ensure compatibility.

Absolutely. Of course I always check compatibility it's just a brain child right now. And yeah I was thinking of including anubia nana and petite as well as a short carpet(I do t quite know yet) for my background I was thinking of something bushy maybe I did put a black lining on the back so it's either or. I had a moss last go around and I learned my lesson from that. 

On 12/14/2023 at 9:25 AM, Gloomy-pickle said:

Absolutely. Of course I always check compatibility it's just a brain child right now. And yeah I was thinking of including anubia nana and petite as well as a short carpet(I do t quite know yet) for my background I was thinking of something bushy maybe I did put a black lining on the back so it's either or. I had a moss last go around and I learned my lesson from that. 

Sounds good. S. Repens can get really dense and bushy. If you feel adventurous there's others that fit the bill too. There's a few "mini" stems that could work also where they are designed for mid ground or foreground, but might be a perfect background in this setup.

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/14/2023 at 12:51 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Sounds good. S. Repens can get really dense and bushy. If you feel adventurous there's others that fit the bill too. There's a few "mini" stems that could work also where they are designed for mid ground or foreground, but might be a perfect background in this setup.

Well I finally got water in it and I set it up the way I want it I got some Cardinal in there some buce some anubias Nana I'll be using Pearl weed as my carpet I know I have to trim it often and I'm still on the search for some more plants

IMG_20240108_123323150_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240108_123317187_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240108_123313597_HDR.jpg

IMG_20240108_123306943_HDR.jpg

• Like 1