Goldfish Nitrates and Nitrites

KoeIC

On 12/8/2023 at 3:29 PM, Biotope Biologist said:

Yes to both! Haha and no worries this industry feeds off the inexperienced. Which is sad because a better business model would be to inform the buyer and have them be successful and coming back for years.

ACO follows the latter model hence this forum, so you’re in the right place just keep asking your questions 

With my activated carbon filters being practically the only filtration and holding good bacteria. Won’t the tank affected by romping all of them while medicating the fish? Thanks. 

One thing to try to help with your nitrates is to add a pothos plant. You can pick up a small plant for cheap at big box home stores. Pull it out of the pot and rinse off all the dirt real good from the roots. Then just submerge the roots of the plant in the water and leave the leaves and stems sticking out. If you have a hang on back filter you can put some of the pothos in the filter media compartment. They’ll suck up some of the excess nitrates. Not a replacement for water changes, of course. 

I too have some goldfish and a bristlenose Pleco that I brought indoors from my summer tub/pond. They make sooo much waste, I feel your pain. Some people use the egg crate material and cut it to fit the space/gap between the lid. 

How to Use the Pothos Plant as a Natural Aquarium Filter https://www.aquariumcoop.com/blogs/aquarium/pothos

IMG_1945.jpeg

• Like 1

On 12/9/2023 at 10:22 PM, Stef said:

One thing to try to help with your nitrates is to add a pothos plant. You can pick up a small plant for cheap at big box home stores. Pull it out of the pot and rinse off all the dirt real good from the roots. Then just submerge the roots of the plant in the water and leave the leaves and stems sticking out. If you have a hang on back filter you can put some of the pothos in the filter media compartment. They’ll suck up some of the excess nitrates. Not a replacement for water changes, of course. 

I too have some goldfish and a bristlenose Pleco that I brought indoors from my summer tub/pond. They make sooo much waste, I feel your pain. Some people use the egg crate material and cut it to fit the space/gap between the lid. 

How to Use the Pothos Plant as a Natural Aquarium Filter https://www.aquariumcoop.com/blogs/aquarium/pothos

IMG_1945.jpeg

Thank you so so so much! I’ll probably bother you with more questions eventually 😂 thank you