German Blue Rams and Caves

Shadow

One of my newer large tanks I have featured in my journals houses 3 German Blue Rams. One is a loner...also seems the boss of the tank. Looks to be the dominant male. The other two paired off very quick together and moved to the corner of the tanks behind some plants beside the sponge filter...its kinda their zone. Anytime he comes near one shoots out and spares off with him, shoos him off. They all come out and eat, are quite active when doing so. Once the lights dim at night they also move around their area a little more. My question, as it does seem they are a pair...should I purchase a cave or something for that corner of the tank for them in hopes they may spawn or is it really needed now that they have claimed that area? 

• Like 1

My rams never bothered with caves; they usually spawned on wood or whatever and the dug pits for wrigglers (you should have fairly fine substrate for all species of dwarf cichild; and be aware that when the eggs hatch they move the baby to a clean area - the stages are eggs; wrigglers (hatched but can't swim); free swimming. 

Even when i bother to put n caves other than rare occasion (my male nannacara used one as a retreat; and my pleco used one to raises 10 gazillion frys); most of time they wiggle their little noses at me in disgust and ignore them.

Oh yea my female krib used one to watch her frys - mind you their actual home at night was a pit they dug under drift wood and she would heard the frys in there at night but during the day one of their grazing area was near a cave where she would sit and carefully watch them:

krib_fry1.jpg.be3b7557c6120765cf1bf5fa2e71f22c.jpg

Edited by anewbie
  • Like 2