Modify a Tidal filter to a Whisper

madmark285

I was thinking about converting my Tidal to a whisper style filter, just get rid of the basket.

The media used for the bio section (scrub pads and/or Seachem Matrix) rarely needs cleaning. So using 1/2" thick PVC material, rig something up for a slide in/out cartridge where the water exits. I have a large sheet of washable 100 micron felt material, make a cartridge or just use a large Whisper one show below with just a felt pad:

tidalmod1.jpg.e239ddcc1a5376cc5b808ee4f15a77fd.jpg

So if the cartridge can be lifted out freely, this would be so easy for maintenance, Just put the cartridge out and replace the pad.

tidalmod2.jpg.9466839d1b04d25ec7ecb66b259713d6.jpg

As you can see, the 100 micron felt pad is very effective, why even bother with sponges? My 2 big tanks use filter socks which I clean in the washing machine. Just toss these in to clean them. 

Any thoughts?

Essential your filtration is out of order. The media would do better in a media bag, but the main issue is just order. The biological should be after mechanical filtration.  I'm your setup, the white fine mechanical filtration should be the first thing the sponge hits, then your biological media, then out.

The main issue and difference here is that the tetra flows from the right to left, but I would guess it's also bottom to top. This is similar to the aqueon quietflow filters. In terms of the tidal, the pump starts at the top of the container and the basket itself is used to push the water to the bottom of the chamber.

• Like 1

If you don't mind disposable, I really like cutting the polishing filter pad from co-op to size.  I just throw them out every couple of weeks. It would probably hold it's shape, especially if you bag your media. But I agree, it should go through mechanical first ideally. I don't have a tidal, but i go through sponge > polish > biomedia.

I just wash out the sponge and bio in tank water periodically, and throw away the polish.

https://www.aquariumcoop.com/products/fine-poly-pad

On 11/29/2023 at 2:24 PM, Lonkley said:

If you don't mind disposable,

I don't like disposable nor am I a big fan of sponges. I love felt filter socks which are so easy to clean, just toss them in the washing machine. So when I wash them, just toss in the felt pads. 

The 100 micron 24” x 36” felt pad cost me $14 and i should be good for a few years on filter material. 

• Thanks 1

On 11/29/2023 at 1:31 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

The biological should be after mechanical filtration

Yep, that how it should work but does it really matter? The debris may/will just move thru the course Matrix media. Another issue, the bio-filter will still be working when the felt pad gets plugged up. If you put the felt pad first then the water will overflow on the top and rush to the exit when it gets plugged up. 

I could add a course sponge in the water intake section of the Tidal. 

Sidenote: I screwed up my first sump, I was unaware of the existence of filter socks. So with a kludge modification, I added filter socks after the fluidized bed filter shown below. Same thing, the socks should go first.

image.jpeg.7d5f4cec36d746fd06e173d7f29793ba.jpeg

Surprisingly, it actually worked quite well. The debris would get churned up in the fluidized bed then dumped into the socks. Note: I ended up removing one of the walls in the above sump. And making it out of cellular PVC was a bad idea, it is slightly porous. This sump is being rebuilt using a 29 gallon tank. 

• Like 1

On 11/29/2023 at 4:21 PM, madmark285 said:

Yep, that how it should work but does it really matter?

It really does.  The hob you're showing has very minimal mechanical filtration and a "good amount" of biological.  That being said, if you have the biological with gunk all in the pores, you're not growing bacteria and you're not as stable as you could be.  For the sake of putting a number on it, let's say you're 30% less efficient.  I have seen bypass and all sort of things in filtration.  There are ways to make things efficient, but honestly, this is literally a very easy fix and you can get things to work easier for you if you bag the rocks.  You don't have to worry about them sliding in the way when you pull the fine pads and it just makes your life easier.  Speaking in terms of efficiency, it makes you enjoy working on the filter a little more, which is a win-win.

If you put the felt pad first then the water will overflow on the top and rush to the exit when it gets plugged up. 

They make the cartridges in such a way that they stick out of the water.  The water shouldn't ever go over the top of it.  They typically build in places for the water to bypass when it gets to a certain level to prevent flooding, the tidal has them as well. 

Surprisingly, it actually worked quite well. The debris would get churned up in the fluidized bed then dumped into the socks. Note: I ended up removing one of the walls in the above sump. And making it out of cellular PVC was a bad idea, it is slightly porous. This sump is being rebuilt using a 29 gallon tank. 

Makes sense... However, in this situation the fluidized media would be taking up chunks of debris as opposed to bacteria (in some cases).  To be clear, I totally understand what you're saying and I get your point. Simply put it does matter for stability sake.

• Like 1

On 11/29/2023 at 10:36 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

It really does.  The hob you're showing has very minimal mechanical filtration and a "good amount" of biological.  That being said, if you have the biological with gunk all in the pores, you're not growing bacteria and you're not as stable as you could be. 

That's an excellent point concerning the Matrix media which I regret buying, it was an impulse decision.  Matrix may require clean water to work effectively long term and may be best used in pressure filters ie: canisters. I do have some plastic scrub pads which I am conditioning, those may be a better option for what I am doing.

The HOB shown has minimal mechanical filtration but it still is highly effective, it is rated at 100 microns. It just has to be replaced/cleaned more often than large sponges. 

You may have noticed with me, I like to build or tinker with filters. I have the material so I am going try installing a large felt pad in my Tidal (no basket). I want to try using some K1 media,  is a fluidized/moving bed filter feasible? 

Thanks so much for your feedback, you raise some excellent points for me to think about.

Mark

On 11/30/2023 at 8:50 AM, madmark285 said:

You may have noticed with me, I like to build or tinker with filters. I have the material so I am going try installing a large felt pad in my Tidal (no basket). I want to try using some K1 media,  is a fluidized/moving bed filter feasible? 

Size is definitely an issue.  Think in terms of the ziss bubble bio.  A "fludized media" filter would be like.... putting a 110 on low on a 40G or something and that's probably not big enough.  you really need a LOT of space and a ton of air for those.

• Like 1