Glass Catfish Parameters

amongus09

On 11/21/2023 at 12:42 AM, amongus09 said:

I have a ph around 7.5-7.6 and I wanted to keep a little school of these guys.  I hear these fish are delicate and can only tolerate 6.0-6.5, while others say they are hardy and can tolerate 5.5-7.5.  Could someone who has had glass catfish chime in here?  

They are pretty tolerant of water parameters.

The sensitivity I have seen comes from stress from other fish and not being able to hide. I am sure you are aware that it takes a bit of training to get them weened off live foods or frozen live foods.

We kept ours in a species only tank with snails and otocinclus.

• Like 2

On 11/21/2023 at 10:04 PM, amongus09 said:

Thanks guys, i totally understand.  Im going to be mainly feeding frozen bloodworms so it will be ok.  Do they add a lot of bioload?

Blood worm are ok to be feed two to three times  a week I would give them a more varied diet with a frozen or live brine shrimp daphnia  good quality pellet 

On 11/21/2023 at 3:59 PM, amongus09 said:

Whats your ph?  And do you think they can tolerate harder water?

I actually tend to not measure pH (and the Aquarium Co Op tests aren't very accurate for me with pH).

pH is directly related to KH and CO2.  I keep the KH around 3-5 and the tank well aerated.  So, I don't pay much attention to pH.

I basically use the ACO strips to monitor nitrate and give a quick glance at GH and KH to make sure they are above a certain value/color.

Edited by Galabar