2 10s or a 20L?

Zeaqua

Hi all! Recently, I've been considering replacing 2 of my tanks. I have 2 10 gallons side to side on a desk, and I'm trying to figure out if I should replace them with a 20 gallon long. I love breeding fish, so I'm not entirely sure if the increased swimming space and volume is worth the trade-off to not have 2 separate tanks with different species. If you'd want to convince me in one direction or the other, I'd definitely appreciate it!

I'm a more tanks are better kind of person, lol (to a point). As for space, I understand that. Our flat in Spain is around 900 sqft and that doesn't leave much room for play. Bookshelf, desk and TV stand tanks is about it. Good thing I like nano tanks. Have fun whatever you decide but I like having somewhere to move inhabitants and or plants if need be. I wouldn't go back to a one tank setup, at least two. 

• Like 1

On 11/20/2023 at 11:53 AM, Zeaqua said:

I would worry about the weight on the floor, as I am on a second floor room.

Not sure why people worry so much about being on the second floor, a load bearing wall can support thousands of pound. Typically you have beams in the basement/crawl space which has to support the first and second floors plus the roof. From the perspective of the house, it could care less if a tank is on the 1st of 2nd floor, it's the same load on the beams.

I have a 75 gallon tank with a sump in a finished 3rd floor attic space. The tank sit on top of a load bearing wall which sit on top of a load bearing beam which sits on the fondation (I don't have a full basement).  From a load perspective, the tank is sitting on top of the foundation. I also have a 40 gallon tank and 29 gallon tank which are connected to the outside wall which is very strong when you include the wood siding. 

Now putting a large tank in the middle of the floor joists is a problem, you need to stay close to the load bearing walls. 

• Like 1

I vote for a 20L personally, but really defends what fish you want and if you want them to stratify.  So a 20H might be a better option in that case.

Then start your "I am not going to use these" tank pile and wait a few weeks before you find a totally fabricated reason to start using them again.

What do your folks think? Maybe they can reassure you about the floor.

Are they interested in fish at all? Maybe they would let you have a bigger tank in the living room or something, then you could keep the two smaller ones for breeding. 😃

I don’t have any fish (yet) and don’t plan to do any breeding when I do get some, but if I was going to, I would want two tanks for either separating fry, or keep one as just in case QT.

Write down the pros & cons of each choice. Maybe that will make the decision easier. 😃