Dwarf Snowball Pleco Hypancistrus sp. (L471) WAY more active in new set-up!

andieb

Hello! 

I just wanted to share my recent experience in case it helps anyone setting up a tank with Dwarf Snowball Plecos (L471). 

I've had the same three dwarf snow ball plecos for around 2.5 years. They were EXTREMELY shy and inactive. They NEVER left their pleco caves, to the point where I worried they weren't eating. I only saw them out maybe 5-10 times in the past 2 years. I did notice that they came out when ALL the room and tank lights were off - only cause I'd catch a glimpse of them running back into their caves when I turned on a light. They did breed once but the hatchings didn't survive sadly. 

About 2-3 months ago, I got rid of the tank that contained the plecos. I had considered selling them, but instead decided to move them into my main display tank since the parameters were suitable. Immediately after moving them to my main tank, their behaviour completely changed. They're WAY more active now. They come out of their caves at all hours, they explore and forage frequently, they can often be spotted sitting on rocks and drift wood. They especially like sitting on this one rock that's flat and positioned under the outflow of the HOB filter. They're still shy but will now come out at feeding time even when I'm sitting in front of the tank. This is a well-established tank (set up ~2 years prior to writing this). The change in their behaviour is unbelievable and I'm so happy about their improved quality of life, they're so enjoyable to watch now. 

I wanted to share all the details about their past and current set ups, in case it helps someone designing a set-up for these guys. The bolded text highlights things unique to their new set-up and therefore could explain the change in their behaviour: 

• Size: 35 gallon (15x15x36")*
  • Substrate: CaribSea Super Naturals Premium Aquarium Sand **
  • Moderately densly planted (Vallisneria sp. Gigantea, duck weed, dwarf sagitarius, java fern, amazon swords, anubias, buce)***
  • Lighting is moderate, but the pleco caves were placed in the darkest park of the tank
  • Lots of drift wood and rocks around the substrate, creating places for the plecos to hide behind.*
  • Aquaclear 50 HOB filter**** - creates moderate-gentle current, moderate aeration 
  • Small pleco caves in a shale rock-arrangment. 
  • Co-habitants: red cherry shrimps, snails, honey gouramis, sterbai corys, hill stream loach.***** 
  • Feeding: frozen foods (adult brine, blood worms) and sinking pellets (bug bites bottom feeder formula, NLS algaemax or insectum), spirulina flakes
  • Water parameters: pH: 7.4-7.6, Nitrates: 10-20 ppm******, Hardness: 180ppm, Nitrite: 0 ppm, Ammonia: 0 ppm, KH/Buffer: 80 ppm, ~78-81ºF (usually 79ºF)

* Their new tank is bigger - particularly in depth and height - with more room for rocks and drift wood that provide cover for them to move around the tank while remaining hidden from view. In a counterintuitive way, I think this makes them more visible since they feel comfortable to come out and are becoming desensitized. Also the tank being taller means that the light is always more dim down near the substrate.

** Older tanks were half Super Naturals Sand and half smooth gravel. I really think they like sand. They dig in the sand and create "dens" and pits to hide in. 

*** The new tank is more densely planted than previous set-ups, especially with plants near the substrate (buce growing around drift wood and dwarf sagitarius which may provide cover)

**** Slightly high turnover than previous set-ups. 

***** They share the new tank with bottom dwellers (sterbai cory), which may make them more comfortable. They have never been paired with a co-habitant that bothered/scared them. They were previously with a dwarf pea puffer but he never acknowledged/interacted with the plecos, let alone acted aggressively towards them. If anything, the honey gouramis that the plecos are with now get more up-close and personal with the plecos (not in an aggressive way, just while foraging around the sand). 

****** Being a larger tank, nitrates are more stable and tend to be lower than previous set-ups I've had these guys in. 

There's also always the possibility that this is age-related. They were much smaller when I first got them and they are now full-grown. 

Anyway, I really hope this post isn't interpreted as smug or braggy. I just want to provide information that could help someone create a comfortable environment for dwarf snow ball plecos, and so that they can enjoy watching these guys in action!

Here's a picture of the tank: 

image.jpeg.4f43f94dd4bee50b617b4bd2b052d225.jpeg

image.jpeg.08c13a57c62fc2c12b07747022b43db7.jpeg

image.jpeg.d5dbb0aa7e94c153c39a5fb346162891.jpeg

image.jpeg.ce37145d968f0d1b58257bc9941c23de.jpeg

image.jpeg.be2a71a90e2fbf32553f1421f3c479e5.jpeg

Edited by andieb
  • Like 2
  • Love 3

Those are lovely plecos and I’m happy for you that you didn’t have to re-home them!😃 Thanks for sharing. I only have snails and shrimp right now, but I’m learning so much from posts like yours for when I am finally able to get some fish.

• Like 1