Aquarium Co-Op Test Strips. Lost, please help????

Soulman15

On 11/15/2023 at 3:27 PM, Soulman15 said:

Does anyone have an idea of how you would read this GM Hardness test?  All the colors are so dark on the container but my tests are much lighter.  Not sure how to read this.  any ideas 

image.jpeg.e9cde6c6bdbfb136996af03dc4a74090.jpeg

I think hard water aquarists will ask this question forever.  

Many of us interpret that as off the scale or 300+.  I was curious as to why my readings never changed, and just how far off the scale my GH really was.  I bought the liquid GH/KH test kit in July.   

The test strips indicated GH=300+, and the KH=40-60.

Liquid tests indicated GH= 250, and KH= 54 .  Close enough!

I had the same issue with identifying high values. We have very soft water here and I've always seen it as a solid blue, but once I started using harder water for guppies I got this same purple shade. I bought the liquid tests and it measured well above the range of the strip's chart.

That being said, I don't really use the liquid tests much because they take quite a while to perform. The strips are fine, it's just not very obvious at first. If you need a more precise measurement I'd use the liquid tests.

Tap water left, guppy tank right.

tests.jpg

Edited by Maximus
  • Thanks 1

On 11/17/2023 at 10:40 AM, Maximus said:

I had the same issue with identifying high values. We have very soft water here and I've always seen it as a solid blue, but once I started using harder water for guppies I got this same purple shade. I bought the liquid tests and it measured well above the range of the strip's chart.

That being said, I don't really use the liquid tests much because they take quite a while to perform. The strips are fine, it's just not very obvious at first. If you need a more precise measurement I'd use the liquid tests.

Tap water left, guppy tank right.

tests.jpg

What do you add for the GH?  Also, did you ever consider raising KH?