I have a tank but don't know what to do with it.

I have an ugly 3.5-gallon from the Topfin brand. I had a Betta named Cloud and an Otocinclus named Otto in it for a while but I now want to throw it out now that both fish have passed due to ageing recently. I want to sell it to make way for a new breeder project I have planned to place on my desk. Any suggestions on what to keep in it. Or should I sell it. 

On 11/15/2023 at 12:44 PM, Kaiju said:

Okay ill keep it in mind, but remember, I am trying to do a breeding project so I could use the funds given after selling.

I can't think of a breeding project that would work well in that small of a tank except for shrimp. 🙂  Now, I'm not sure what your local market would work for selling them.  But that's very local and probably even seasonal.

I forgot to mention the breeding project is one I'm planning. So my thought process was if I sold the old 3.5 I could have more funds for the breeding project tank. I thank you all for the advice though. I could probably use it to shelter sick or young shrimp/shrimplets.

Ahh, I misunderstood, I thought you meant that you wanted to use the 3.5 gallon for the breeding project.  I'd make the argument that breeding shrimp in the 3.5 would net you significantly more money than just selling the tank, but maybe there's a really hot used market for small tanks like that in your area?

What are you hoping to breed?

@jwcarlson Orange Sakura and Orange Rili shrimp types. I think just turning around and selling a fairly clean and nice quality tank would help me buy more things for this project. Sorry for the miscommunication lmao. 

On 11/15/2023 at 3:47 PM, Kaiju said:

@jwcarlson Orange Sakura and Orange Rili shrimp types. I think just turning around and selling a fairly clean and nice quality tank would help me buy more things for this project. Sorry for the miscommunication lmao. 

I wish you luck, but the market for used aquariums isn't very good.  I hope I'm wrong, but I'd be surprised if you get as much as $10.00 for it, and it may be quite a bit less than that.

• Like 1

@JettsPapa Thanks! Your advice is really helpful, I got the tank for $40 and checked a price range it could sell for and it's 10-20 bucks from what I've seen which isn't much but it's enough! Thanks to everyone again, for the advice!

@Tanked That actually might be a good idea thank you! I guess now I'm weighing between selling it, hospital or quarantine, or as a shrimplet safe haven (I don't think I'll need it for the third reason as much as the other two). 

A tank that small i would most definitely keep as a hospital tank, i cant tell you how many times i've had fish in my 10gal quarantine tank and needed to med a fish, so quarantine gets cut short, then after the hospital stay that tank has to be cleaned of anything so it can go back to a qt tank. Plus 3.5 gals would be really cheap to medicate!

@govsfabshop Thanks for the advice. And thanks to everyone who responded. It helps a lot. I think I might have to sell it though, even if its not for much it would give me more money for the project. I thought I would have enough room for both tanks but I only really have room for one at this given moment, unfortunately. Hopefully, this breeding project works. If not I still will have a very satisfactory scape!