Using a Rounded Aquarium for a Sump

Corey Sharp

Hey Everyone! 

I'm new here but have been following Aquarium Co-op for a long time! I got bit by the aquarium bug hard and have been  wanting to set up a larger custom aquarium. I got my wife on board and I finally got a 180 gallon. I think I want to keep Discus in it, but time will tell. 

I love all aspects of the hobby, from simple low tech setups, to advanced tech and DIY setups. For my new 180 gallon, I think I want to build my own sump and maybe try to incorporate an auto water change down the road. 

For the sump, I have a corner aquarium thats about 70 gallons that I think will actually fit under the 180. Problem is, the front panel is curved. I got it from family years ago and never set it up because I'm not talented enough to build a stand that looks good with a rounded aquarium. Since this will fit under the 180, what are your thoughts on building a sump out of an odd shape aquarium? Im thinking if I get acrylic from my local hardware store for the baffles and a silicone that will adhere glass and acrylic, i could maybe work with the rounded front panel. Does that sounds ridiculous? Could the odd shape hurt the flow in any adverse way? 

My other option is to sell it and find something else to make the sump. Just figured its worth a shot since I already have it. Love to hear what you all think! 20231017_112702.jpg.7321e260abfbc408cdf95ccb8c6442e5.jpg

20231113_174750.jpg

• Love 1

On 11/13/2023 at 9:15 PM, Corey Sharp said:

Does that sounds ridiculous? Could the odd shape hurt the flow in any adverse way? 

My other option is to sell it and find something else to make the sump. Just figured its worth a shot since I already have it. Love to hear what you all think! 

it doesn't sound ridiculous at all and might actually be beneficial for a sump use.  It's a corner tank it looks like, marineland makes great quality stuff from the one I had and I love their black silicone!

The "corners" of the tank would be perfect for inlet and outlet pipes and save you a ton of space.  If you look up standard size mats and foams, plan the design around that, it wouldn't be too bad at all.  The "back chamber" would be whatever is leftover and could be used to house excess media and act as a refugium, out of the way.  If you can give me dimensions on things I can give you a general idea and I would love to see where you plan it out and do with it.   Sounds like a fun project!

On 11/14/2023 at 5:50 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

it doesn't sound ridiculous at all and might actually be beneficial for a sump use.  It's a corner tank it looks like, marineland makes great quality stuff from the one I had and I love their black silicone!

The "corners" of the tank would be perfect for inlet and outlet pipes and save you a ton of space.  If you look up standard size mats and foams, plan the design around that, it wouldn't be too bad at all.  The "back chamber" would be whatever is leftover and could be used to house excess media and act as a refugium, out of the way.  If you can give me dimensions on things I can give you a general idea and I would love to see where you plan it out and do with it.   Sounds like a fun project!

Well, interestingly, I found out who originally had the 180 gallon. I was searching market place for a cheap standard sized 75 gallon for sump options and I found one. I got to digging and the guy selling it was the original owner of the 180 I just bought. It was a long story and I dont have all the details but it sounds like he had it in storage, was trying to sell it but the storage locker went through an auction and he lost it. I think I got it from the guy who bought the locker from auction. He was a super nice guy and even tossed in a carbon reactor he wont need anymore. So now I have the 70 corner and 75 gallon with some baffles already. The wife will probably want the 70 corner to be sold and thats okay. Saying yes to the 180 made my whole year! It'll still be a fun project. I'll probably end up removing the existing baffles and set it up exactly how i want it. 

Now on to cleaning them, testing they hold water, and building a stand! 

• Thanks 1