Anubius rot from nitrate deficiency?

txhoppy

Hey all. new to the hobby but trying to learn.

I started a new tank with 7 gallon tank with contrasoil and partial sand cap. Amazon swords, Microsword grass, pearl weed, frogbit, a Porthos hanging off the back and several Anubius nana. Over the next couple weeks added 4 endlers, a snail and 3 neo caradina. Did a few  water  changes to keep ammonia in line. 3 weeks in my Anubius all had bad rot. Some had been super glued on the roots others just stuffed in place but all had bad ryzome rot.  I took it into the fish store where I bought it and the said it was from too low nitrate levels and that I should get the levels up and buy more . Indeed they are very low but I cant find anything on line that says this could be a factor. 

Thoughts?

• Like 1

That's a ton of plants (and some massive nitrate hogs in the floaters and pothos).  In my experience, I basically couldn't keep nitrates in a tank that has a pothos in it.  That's a bit YMMV based on your water (some people with wells have high nitrates right out of the tap).  I think you've got a lot going on in a small space and you're likely to struggle with some some of that mix.  When I started with plants I bought all kinds of stuff, succeeded in killing most of it.  And what's left I propagate.  I'm not sure that the rot would be related to nitrates, I have anubias in tanks that get large, frequent water changes + have pothos.  I'd be shocked if the nitrates ever get above 5.  They don't rot.  They don't grow extremely fast, but they don't rot.  

Welcome to the hobby! It's a bummer about the Anubias rot. Nitrate levels being too low is an interesting take—I haven't heard that one before. Usually, they're hardy plants. Maybe check if there's any issue with the roots or if they were initially healthy when you got them. Increasing nitrates slowly and keeping an eye on other water parameters might help. Any other ideas from the fish store? 

Any other ideas from the fish store? 

Just use a fertilizer. I was using API leaf zone but now see how little that provides so have switched to AC Easy Green.

On 11/11/2023 at 11:22 AM, jwcarlson said:

That's a ton of plants

Doesn't seem like many compared to pictures I see. This (poor quality) shot is before I added the pearl weed at the back.

tank.jpg

• Like 2

Rhizome rot on Anubia is not fully understood.  The opinions as to how and why vary widely.  I would think that if your Nitrate levels are low enough to stress the Anubia, the other plants would also show signs.  I would remove the Anubia and try using the reverse respiration treatment.  if only part of the rhizome is rotted, you could try removing it with a clean blade.  If the entire rhizome is soft and smells bad, the plant is likely lost.  If you still have healthy Anubia, I would definitely treat with the RR treatment or possibly Hydrogen Peroxide.  Anubia rhizome rot is believed to be contagious to other Anubia.  Some additional information can be found here:

https://www.aquariumcoop.com/blogs/aquarium/anubias-rot

• Like 1

All the Anubius ryzomes were very rotted and I removed them. All other plants doing well with the sword( I think its kleiner bar)  growing so fast you can almost see each new leaf extending :-)}

Mostly I think the store just didnt want to credit me for 2 week old plants by making it my fault. I was very low on nitrates though and increasing the level has improved the growth of my floaters so I do appreciate their feedback.

My biggest concern is adding new Anubius back but I guess I'll try and watch it closely. Ill get the from Petco though as they are cheaper and the ones from petco in my  first  tank are going great. This tank is my second(or third if you count one in the process of a dry start.)

thanks everybody for the feedback.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 11/14/2023 at 3:33 PM, txhoppy said:

All the Anubius ryzomes were very rotted and I removed them. All other plants doing well with the sword( I think its kleiner bar)  growing so fast you can almost see each new leaf extending :-)}

Mostly I think the store just didnt want to credit me for 2 week old plants by making it my fault. I was very low on nitrates though and increasing the level has improved the growth of my floaters so I do appreciate their feedback.

My biggest concern is adding new Anubius back but I guess I'll try and watch it closely. Ill get the from Petco though as they are cheaper and the ones from petco in my  first  tank are going great. This tank is my second(or third if you count one in the process of a dry start.)

thanks everybody for the feedback.

Sorry they all died on you. I hope you have more luck with the next batch!

On 11/11/2023 at 10:38 AM, txhoppy said:

tank.jpg

To start, welcome to the forums and I just wanted to commend you on how wonderful and amazing your tank is.  I love how you did the rock and the wood.  It all works so well together!

Given your filtration, I think the issue is just circulation.  Anubias, plants in general, but especially epiphytes need some flow across the rhizome.  You could have an issue just from the source of the anubias and the rot happening prior to your care.  I would lean towards adding a skimmer to push flow across or changing up the filtration.

As a sidenote, in future keep an eye out for this:

Edited by nabokovfan87
added links