What is your favorite nitrate test kit?

Supermassive

I've only used the one that comes in the API master test kit. I don't like it very much and I'm going to run out soon so I'm wondering what people like. I would prefer something with more precision. Its hard to tell exactly what its at when its between 20-40 and also 40-80 on the API test.

API drop test. Absolute worst water test to have to perform, but most accurate in my experience if you do all the shakey-shaking correctly, meaning if you follow the directions and don't try any short cuts. And I agree, the colors can be hard to read, but I have yet to find anything I like better and trust more.

Edited by tolstoy21
  • Like 1

On 11/9/2023 at 6:17 PM, Kurt Brutting said:

I really like Aquarium Co Op’s test strips. Since I started using around 2 years ago I have not used anything else. In my opinion if you keep them dry they are super reliable. 

Same here. I have seachem, api drops and Hanna digital. Since I verified the coop test strips against those three quite a few time and found them reliable… the rest now just collect dust. 

• Like 2

If I'm testing frequently I'm going to choose an ACO test strip every time. Usually that level of testing happens when I am monitoring a problem or monitoring nitrates after making a major change in the tank that impacts my fertilizer dosing. If I'm in the first stage of troubleshooting a problem or taking an initial measurement for the day while monitoring I'll use the API liquid test.

• Like 1