Panda Cory seems to be sick and I’m not sure what it is or how to help it

zamMan

It doesn't look good looks it looks like it lossed some weight how long have you had the Cory's before you notice symptoms any rapid breathing hanging out near the surface lethargy flashing spitting food sunken belly have you treated with any medication @zamMan

Edited by Colu

@Colu I purchased this Cory along with the other ones from petsmart about 3 days ago. I havent seen it zip to the top for a minute now and I just noticed the symptoms today. No spitting of food that I’m aware of. I haven’t tried any medication yet as I’m not quite sure what’s wrong with the little fella

more pics: (one on the right is the ill one) lmk if pictures of the other Cory’s is necessary as wellIMG_6812.jpeg.e467340baae9c1c47d78bde201cefa18.jpegIMG_6811.jpeg.829d71d8b3e76a4bee4648d8d2995d92.jpeg

On 11/1/2023 at 2:54 PM, zamMan said:

Water Parameters:

Ammonia: 0

Nitrite: 0

nitrate: 0-5ppm

Water Temperature: 75 degrees

Seems to be the only panda Cory with this problem. Any help is greatly appreciated 

The other one, I think it's from the same batch, also looks a little worse for wear. 

What is your GH/KH/PH in the tank.

First thing I noticed in the tank was the substrate.  It could just be a lot of small cuts that is causing them a lot of discomfort.  My first suggestion based on that would be to use maracyn (erythromycin) and to be able to use a feeding dish for them.  a small plate works well, something flat and smooth that you can toss food on. 

This is essentially what they are struggling with trying to get food.

On 11/1/2023 at 2:54 PM, zamMan said:

IMG_6809.jpeg

It looks like what we would typically see as excess slime coat being secreted.  The main thing there is trying to understand what is causing that.  As mentioned above, I would start there.

Secondly, just for the sake of giving them the absolutely best chance of recover, add an airstone for them in addition to that feeding dish.

Have you seen them all eating, have they all been eating well or struggling a little bit?

• Like 1

@nabokovfan87 the one from the sponge filter picture also looks ill to you? 😕 dang these poor little guys 

GH: 10

kh: 5

ph: 8

Would a high gh be responsible for this?

I thought the substrate thing was a myth becuase of what I heard from Cory. I hope it isn’t hurting them. but Ill looking into getting a plate 

I’m going to have to order the medication so it might take a minute, is there anything you’d recommend I do in the mean time and should I quarantine them from the tank when I do medicate them?

Yes they have two air stones and sponge filters in the tank that they’re in.

They seem to be eating decently well when I put the food in but they definitely leave leftovers. I feed them the bottom feeder Hilary sinking plates 

On 11/2/2023 at 3:07 AM, zamMan said:

@nabokovfan87 the one from the sponge filter picture also looks ill to you? 😕 dang these poor little guys 

Would a high gh be responsible for this?

I thought the substrate thing was a myth becuase of what I heard from Cory. I hope it isn’t hurting them. but Ill looking into getting a plate 

I’m going to have to order the medication so it might take a minute, is there anything you’d recommend I do in the mean time and should I quarantine them from the tank when I do medicate them?

They seem to be eating decently well when I put the food in but they definitely leave leftovers. I feed them the bottom feeder Hilary sinking plates 

With two air stones and  a sponge filter the level of desloved oxygen in your tank should be fine it doesn't hurt to add another air stone during treatment I would treat with antibiotic treatment such as maracyn or maracyn2 that @nabokovfan87  suggested after one course of treatment give us an update  over production of the slim coat can also be caused by external parasites I would also order some prazipro just to have it to hand just in case you need to follow up and a treat for a parasitic infection @zamMan

Edited by Colu

On 11/1/2023 at 8:07 PM, zamMan said:

GH and KH seem fine. PH is a little high, but that may not be relevant. It indicates low dissolved CO2 (meaning good oxygenation).

On 11/1/2023 at 9:00 PM, zamMan said:

Is it safe to dose it in my planted tank with shrimp in it?

What kind of shrimp? Amanos yes. Neocaridina or caridina should be more sensitive, but should be ok. Just keep oxygenation high.

You can add another air stone. One thing to keep in mind isn't necessary X number of stones, but just the volume of air you're pushing. You can have one or two stones pushing a ton of air, but you can also have 3-4 stones pushing very little air. Good surface agitation is the key.  As long as you have the water moving well, good circulation, and good surface movement then that's what they would do best with.

As far as QT goes. If you do have a QT tank ready to go I think that is best for them. It will remove the substrate as a variable and let you focus on monitoring them.  Bare bottom can be an issue for barbels, but generally speaking, I think it's a better choice in this situation.  They like cover or shade, so having a dim tank with something for them to hide under also helps them to relax a bit. That's usually why you see them hang out under sponge filters because of the flow and cover.

Maybe you can find a small terra Cotta dish or something that works. I've seen people use small side plates as well. Part of it is food inaccessible for them, but the other part of it is getting scratched on what can be extremely sharp substrate (lava rock, basically).

Yeah neocaridina 😮

hmm it’s gonna be a little difficult with the floating plants I purchased today but I’ll try to increase my flow 

I don’t have a qt tank ready but maybe I’ll try to move them there with my established filter. Just catching them would be pretty difficult to do 

and I’ll try to find a little plate to use 

• Like 1

On 11/6/2023 at 6:17 PM, zamMan said:

Would you still recommend I dose the medication just to be safe?

Given the source, yeah. I got my pandas from the big box store as well and meds is generally a good idea given the fish care.  You're showed signs of issues, so it's does make sense for me to just go ahead and give them the best chance moving forward.

Maracyn especially is pretty easy and mild in terms of treatment.

On 11/6/2023 at 6:23 PM, zamMan said:

Okay cool will do that then. I was thinking of following Irene’s (Girl Talks Fish) method of dosing it and keeping the medication there for a week and then doing a water change 

You should follow the directions on the box. 

The directions Irene gave is based on the QT Trio from Aquarium Co-Op.  That is for what is called preventative treatment.  This isn't preventative as we know the fish is actively undergoing something and you're *actively* trying to cure them.  Bacterial meds are treated over several days and take time to build up to a certain level.  So the repeated doses is pretty critical in circumstances like this.