Seachem Purigen in Filtosmart 100?

JDNScaping

I’ve recently started using Seachem Matrix & Seachem Purigen in my Biomaster 250 on my ADA 60P (25g version). I’m so happy about the crystal clear water results in this tank. Now I’m building a smaller tank of around 10g and I’ll be using the Oase Filtosmart 100. Any idea how I can safely add Matrix & Purigen in this filter as it does not have any compartments as the Biomaster has? Can’t find anything of people using Purigen on a filtosmart.

kind regards 

Ideally but there is no way to do that with the filtosmart filters. You could try on the side of that sponge against the wall the separates the bio from the sponge. 
cut some of the sponge where the impeller goes and stick it in there….

On 10/31/2023 at 10:16 PM, ColBud said:

Ideally but there is no way to do that with the filtosmart filters. You could try on the side of that sponge against the wall the separates the bio from the sponge. 
cut some of the sponge where the impeller goes and stick it in there….

I was thinking of cutting the sponge filter roughly in half just under the impeller protector. Made a little sketch in paint so you'll have an idea. Just want to know your opinion

filtosmart-100.jpg

On 10/31/2023 at 11:33 PM, Galabar said:

I'm always tempted to start using carbon or Purigen again to get that crystal clear water.  However, I'm just too lazy.  I live with the slight yellow color that we all get without those... 🙂

It is optional but worth a try if you're using a external filter. Just added 2 bags of 100ml of Purigen in my biomaster250 and it works like a charm.  It was a fully new tank setup so couldn't resist to try.

On 10/31/2023 at 11:51 PM, Galabar said:

That is the water flow like in that diagram?

Also, there looks to be a huge amount of biological media there.  Maybe you can take some of that out and just put a bag on the Purigen on top of it?

What you see isn’t the flow but the sponge itself. Here another diagram of how the Filtosmart should work. Trying to use as much of bio material so taking away some isn’t my favorite option 😅 That’s why I want to create some more ‘room’ by cutting a piece of the sponge as close to the impeller 

IMG_2267.jpeg

Sponge is actually a very good bio media.  It might even be the case that it is better than the ceramic rings.  So, you may have the option to focus on the most convenient location, rather than having the modify the sponge.

There isn't much research that I could find on the topic, but there is this:

https://aquariumscience.org/index.php/7-1-3-filter-media-test/

image.png.ef4e4769e9d9b2214363007536452887.png

In the above diagram, does the water flow from a to b to c?

Edited by Galabar

Water flow indeed from A to B to C through the tiny gaps at the bottom (yellow circle). but the outflow of the filter would be through the impeller in section B. Water comes in and goes through A, at the bottom gap it will fill B and C. And then water will flow back through the impeller in section B.

On 10/31/2023 at 6:56 AM, JDNScaping said:

Oase Filtosmart 100

1.png.c8d94a0b737719a73ec60ed2f5973c19.png

On 10/31/2023 at 4:26 PM, Galabar said:

There isn't much research that I could find on the topic, but there is this:

https://aquariumscience.org/index.php/7-1-3-filter-media-test/

image.png.ef4e4769e9d9b2214363007536452887.png

Unfortunately, a very unreliable source.  There are some studies out there, but methodology is a key issue with a lot of filtration (biological) data.

On 10/31/2023 at 5:42 PM, JDNScaping said:

I was thinking of cutting the sponge filter roughly in half just under the impeller protector. Made a little sketch in paint so you'll have an idea. Just want to know your opinion

filtosmart-100.jpg

Looks good to me. If you like it go for it!