Did anyone replace ribbed hosing Fluval 07 with regular hoses?

Ruud

As title says.... I am getting tired and annoyed of crap flying out of the outlet after cleaning both pump and tubes - even when I spent 20 minutes cleaning hoses which is not a fun job to do (and I run 3 different Fluval 07's) . 

Did anyone replace the tubing with standard un-ribbed hosing? I am looking online and it seems 16/22 tubing might work? Anyone any real experience here? Eyeballing it, it seems the grey connector that you screw down on the filter head is more or less 22mm.

Thanks

Ruud

• Administrators

When I do this, it's not really cause of the crap the shoots out of the hose but mostly for a more concrete install. I buy black PVC which is kinda expensive, and make inlets and outlets. Then switch to white pvc on the outside down close to the canister. Then from the canister to the pvc, which is usually only like 24 inches of tubing.

I only glue the parts that are outside of the tank, the parts that'll stay in water don't get glued. This lets me reuse this setup if I charge filters or want to make any adjustments, like rotating the output, swapping to and from a spray bar etc.

Hey Cory! Just to see if I understand you well.. you use flexible black hosing right? I am just thinking using the good old Eheim 16/22 or perhaps a cheaper alternative in the same size and use standard piping for inlets and outlets (again like Eheim used to have or something equivalent). My concern is mostly to get rid of the ribbed tubing but also the crapy plastic stuff you hang on to the rim of the aquarium which feels like it will break anytime you try to clean the tubing.