Plants and Calcium

I’m starting a 90 gallon tank with heavy fish load and moderate plants.

My water is ----Ph – 7.7, GH- 20, KH- 7dKH   MY GH is all magnesium with very little calcium-water softener.  I believe I need a calcium boost for my plants to live.  I’m not adding corral or egg shells.

I see 2 options- API Calcium (it states that is can be used for fresh or salt water) or Seachem Equilibrium containing calcium, magnesium, and potassium salts.  I don’t really need more magnesium.  Am I over thinking this or should I just add in the API product?

On 10/26/2023 at 10:45 AM, svachon9 said:

Thanks!  I've read CaS04 is not very water soluble.  Is that true of this product?

Use Rotalabutterfly.com they are a great source for dry dosing or mixing solutions. They will also warn you when quantities use will face solubility issues

On 10/25/2023 at 5:58 PM, svachon9 said:

I’m starting a 90 gallon tank with heavy fish load and moderate plants.

My water is ----Ph – 7.7, GH- 20, KH- 7dKH   MY GH is all magnesium with very little calcium-water softener.  I believe I need a calcium boost for my plants to live.  I’m not adding corral or egg shells.

I see 2 options- API Calcium (it states that is can be used for fresh or salt water) or Seachem Equilibrium containing calcium, magnesium, and potassium salts.  I don’t really need more magnesium.  Am I over thinking this or should I just add in the API product?

Hi @svachon9,

Typical water softeners remove calcium and magnesium as well as some other minerals from water sources and replace it with an abundance of sodium or potassium depending upon what is used to recharge the resin (sodium chloride {salt} or potassium chloride.  Most water softeners use sodium chloride to recharge the resin because it is 5 - 6 times cheaper.  So the water coming out of you water softener should be about 0 dGH however the carbonates (dKH0 are likely equal to or higher than the untreated water and possibly an even higher pH than tap water.  If you haven't checked the actual parameters of the water out of your water softener I strongly suggest you do so now. 

Doing a planted tank using water that has gone through a water softener can be very challenging.  Excess sodium can effect plant growth causing poor root growth as well as stunting of plants.  Possibly someone here on the forum can share some of their experiences with planted tanks and water softeners.  -Roy

Tap water is GH is somewhere between 250-400 ppm.  So it's extremely hard.  Soften water GH is 60ppm, KH at 125ppm but my Ca is very low.  So it appears I need to add Ca.  I've read so much on this and there are so many folks who say it doesn't seem that soften water hurts plants or adds any salt to any degree.  Since RO water is my absolute last resort, I'm going to try this.  

• 2 months later...
On 12/30/2023 at 1:15 PM, Nicole said:

How did you test your calcium level? I can only find calcium tests for saltwater tanks.

This is the only calcium/magnesium test kit I could find for freshwater. Its not great, but I still consider it good enough for the price

https://www.amazon.com/Monitor-Calcium-Magnesium-Salinity-Tests/dp/B096V9J9JP/ref=mp_s_a_1_3_pp?crid=24X9072PW23LL&keywords=calcium+aquarium+test&qid=1703962394&sprefix=Calcium+aq%2Caps%2C211&sr=8-3