How to get my pleco fry OUT of my tank?

Luciferkrist

I have a 75gal that seems to have exploded into an accidental baby factory for the two adult bristlenose I had in there.

How do I 'catch' the fry in a heavily scaped tank without harming them? I tried making a small 'minnow trap' out of a 20oz bottle and baited it with blanched veggies, but they are pretty smart little guys and don't get trapped!

Obviously I need to separate one of the breeding pair, but I need to know if anybody has had success in catching bristlenose fry?

Oh you are going to have fun. 
I use several methods. 

First method is a plant liner terra cotta saucer. I place a veggie in the saucer and wait. Sometimes it takes awhile for the young to realize it’s good. Once it’s covered in bn fry I sit the hanging breeder net on top and cover the dish and fry. Slide my hand under and lift the entire thing out. Reset and repeat a few dozen times. B4A94C61-FC1C-43D4-AE49-2CAFFCC0A1C7.png.c195ac9fdd86bd0de53a6c8aca699fea.png

second is a new crisp Indian almond leaf on the substrate using a plant weight to sink it.  Same net box method or I lean against the front glass and use a large flexible net to trap the lot against the glass.Repeat a few dozen times.

Third I use the large size Shrimp net so it smashes tight on the glass. Every time one in on the front or side glass I I cover it with the net tight on the glass. They find any little hole to escape. I swish the net back and forth until the fry releases from the glass and dives into the net. Repeat a hundred times or so. 

047D90CB-1694-4657-B9F6-4F820C7CB9E7.png

Last method if they are still tiny is a hose. Don’t use one to large since the suction it to strong. I use the hose from my small python. I fill a bucket with enough tank water to cover the bottom of the square breeder mesh box net above and set the box net in the bucket. Start siphoning and place the outflow in the net. Sometimes setting the bucket on a stool to keep the flow from being too strong. Then run about sucking up babies wherever I can find them. 

C19A51CC-00F6-45C4-A1D1-DAE39F6FA1D5.png

• Like 1

I found that you can take advantage of their love for dark caves to my advantage.  Just start trying to net them (to make them run to cover), then cover the cave entrance with your hand and remove the cave.  It’s not as efficient as @Guppysnail’s method, but you can catch adults. Of course you can also check you HOB filter. Filter babies are the best. 

• Love 1

I wanted to mention alternatives to separating your pair. I did not separate mine because I fear her getting egg bound and I love watching their courting. 

I watch and when they spawn I use the swabs in a stick to remove eggs. I lift the cave out of the water and slide the swab under dads belly and under the eggs to loosen them from the cave. Then they usually pour out. My dad got used to this now I just pet his back and he either leaves the cave or scurries in and the eggs get shoved out. 

• Like 2

Well. It looks like I have my work cut out for myself this weekend. I may try getting them little by little, but now I'm not sure what to do with them! all of my LFSs are always inundated with them and I do not have any extra tanks for them... My other option is to put them in my big tank with a few fish that would be more than happy to have a snack, but it just feels cruel.