15g project

JoeQ

On 11/15/2023 at 2:54 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Alright. I think I understand.

I just asked because looking at the growth it seemed pretty evident one of them had nutrients charged up and others might not have.

Im not sure what growth you are referring to. These plants have been floating for weeks due to me procrastinating.... planting is probably my most hated aspect of the hobby.

Todays group photo. 

20231115_175016.jpg

• Like 2

On 11/15/2023 at 8:51 PM, Guppysnail said:

Thank goodness. I thought I was the only one who hated planting. 

What I need to do is find a girl who got that artistic touch with aqua scaping but who also has a black thumb when it comes to the ability to make them grow well! 😂

Edit: also a 7 on the crazy/hot scale would only sweeten the deal!!!

• Haha 2

Last picture was taken too early,  forgot to re-secure pieces of barely surviving parrot feather, money wort and bolbitis before posting the above shot. Hopefully they do better in harder water.

20231119_194100.jpg

Edited by JoeQ
  • Like 1

On 11/22/2023 at 12:21 PM, JoeQ said:

Picked up a bladder snail somewhere!!!!

20231122_121634.jpg.95a78dcc6298cdb73f4d80790b24379f.jpg

I swear, im the only one on this forum (except for maybe @Guppysnail) who is excited about snails and algae!

You are not the only ones. If not for snails I would likely not have gotten back into the hobby. So far, I have mystery(6), ramshorns and MTS but I want white wizard and albino bladder. As for algae that is the sign, after cycling that I used to add my snails and shrimp to me "get me back into the hobby snail jar". They only thing I don't like about the ramshorns is how visible their orange looking eggs are on my leaves in small tanks.  

Edited by Kit Craft
misspelling
  • Love 2

Crap, don't tell me I actually enjoyed this! Expensive-er hobby incoming? 🥲

20231122_133853.jpg.7dc94e38306b3f4d65c628365879f8c6.jpg

The lava rocks were bought for my jar project,  but i need quick surface area in the tank. At 10$ for a 2lb bag at the garden store, they could probably also double for good cheap bio media for those on a budget. 😉

20231122_135104.jpg.251326475cd71c82e29f6d916132ff95.jpg

Edited by JoeQ
  • Love 2

On 11/22/2023 at 1:48 PM, JoeQ said:

Crap, don't tell me I actually enjoyed this! Expensive-er hobby incoming? 🥲

20231122_133853.jpg.7dc94e38306b3f4d65c628365879f8c6.jpg

The lava rocks were bought for my jar project,  but i need quick surface area in the tank. At 10$ for a 2lb bag at the garden store, they could probably also double for good cheap bio media for those on a budget. 😉

20231122_135104.jpg.251326475cd71c82e29f6d916132ff95.jpg

I made the mistake of buying in bulk from the landscaping section. It is cheap, but it is yucky. Mold, mildew and who knows what else. Cleaned up just fine but it took ages. I'll pay more and get it from the horticulture section inside. It is about the same price as what you got, lol. 

• Like 1

On 11/22/2023 at 2:23 PM, Kit Craft said:

I made the mistake of buying in bulk from the landscaping section. It is cheap, but it is yucky. Mold, mildew and who knows what else. Cleaned up just fine but it took ages. I'll pay more and get it from the horticulture section inside. It is about the same price as what you got, lol. 

I actually made a mistake, it's 3lbs!

There is no way id buy in bulk to save a buck. I needed sand, thought of pool filter sand cause it's cheap per lb, I only needed a few lbs tho, so i gladly paid about $1.50 a lb just so i wouldn't have to tote around and store a 50lb bag minus whatever amount I used!!! 

Edited by JoeQ

On 11/22/2023 at 2:33 PM, JoeQ said:

I actually made a mistake, it's 3lbs!

There is no way id buy in bulk to save a buck. I needed sand, thought of pool filter sand cause it's cheap per lb, I only needed a few lbs tho, so i gladly paid about $1.50 a lb just so i wouldn't have to tote around and store a 50lb bag minus whatever amount I used!!! 

I can use up pea gravel and pool filter sand, so I do buy those. We have a pool. The lava rock was an impulse. It is like $10 per rock at the pet store! 

On 11/22/2023 at 3:01 PM, Kit Craft said:

I can use up pea gravel and pool filter sand, so I do buy those. We have a pool. The lava rock was an impulse. It is like $10 per rock at the pet store! 

Insane! Huge markup just from adding the word 'pet' in front of the word 'store'

On 11/22/2023 at 3:20 PM, JoeQ said:

Insane! Huge markup just from adding the word 'pet' in front of the word 'store'

Right? 1 rock vs 18 pounds for the same price. It looks like you got the better deal though. Less rock than what I got but much cleaner! Looking forward to seeing this progress. 

20231122_165026.jpg.787b9d66ae21c703f6def1bfd2e54066.jpg

On 11/22/2023 at 4:02 PM, Kit Craft said:

Right? 1 rock vs 18 pounds for the same price. It looks like you got the better deal though. Less rock than what I got but much cleaner! Looking forward to seeing this progress. 

It'll probably happen in spurts, my nitrite issue was a huge motivator, along with company tomorrow. Where the tank is located is at the end of the hallway which anyone headed to the kitch/dinner table has to pass. Here is a better picture of the area roughly scaped today.

Edited by JoeQ
  • Like 1

Moved this anubis afzelii from my main to my 15g to see how it does in harder water. I was actually suprised seeing the new growth!

AR mini looks to have melted, not sure if that was on account of hardwater, light too high & minimum ferts? (light was turned down to 10%) Or just from an immature eco system.

AR purple & crypt spir ~ looks to have started to reacting to the light

The Val seems to be living its best life out of all of them!

I also started dry dosing, mostly because I only needed Phosphates & Potassium which I didn't have mixed. Ill have to contact the dry dosing guru @Mmiller2001 to see if I can dry dose macro & micros on the same day. With the current stocking and minimal plants it seemed like a good chance to experiment with dry dosing ferts & expand my knowledge with minimal risk!

20231123_105501.jpg

Edited by JoeQ
  • Like 2
  • Love 1