Unidentified 'string' coming from fish?

nlifs

Hello all,

New to the forum and looking forward to learning alot!

I brought home three sunburst platys yesterday and they seem to be doing OK so far but one of them has this long white stringy thing coming out of him (see photo).  He's had for about 12 hours now ... looks like it's been getting longer but still attached.

Is he constipated or something else?

Please let me know what you think and what the next steps should be.

Thanks!

PXL_20231016_125759366.jpg

• Like 1

On 10/16/2023 at 2:40 PM, nlifs said:

Hello all,

New to the forum and looking forward to learning alot!

I brought home three sunburst platys yesterday and they seem to be doing OK so far but one of them has this long white stringy thing coming out of him (see photo).  He's had for about 12 hours now ... looks like it's been getting longer but still attached.

Is he constipated or something else?

Please let me know what you think and what the next steps should be.

Thanks!

PXL_20231016_125759366.jpg

Stingy clear or white  mucus is poop without food in it produced when fish haven't been eating  or from an intestinal infection most of the time it's nothing to worry about if there eating ok active I would worry if they stop eating lose weight any rapid breathing hanging out near the surface lethargy than I would treat I would just focus on stable water parameters good quality foods 

Edited by Colu
  • Like 3

Thanks!  I just got them from the store yesterday and haven't fed them yet.  He was hanging around the surface a bit but not exclusively.

Any specific suggestions re. feeding?  All I have at home is Bug Bites pellets.  Are those OK?

Edited by nlifs
  • Like 1

On 10/16/2023 at 12:16 PM, nlifs said:

Are you allowed to make specific recommendations on the forum?

Yes. Product recommendations are fine just not linking webpages that sell it. 

For green I use Kens fish food high protein fry green granules contain algae and all sorts of good stuff. My fish love it, it’s inexpensive in comparison to other bigger names and I get the best breeding results. It comes in all sizes. I have fantastic results. .5-1 mm should be good sizes for adult platy. 

Xtreme nano sold by Aquarium coop is also very good but lacks green. 

• Like 1

On 10/16/2023 at 7:54 PM, nlifs said:

Thank you!

What about crushed peas?  Do those work?

Saw some folks online recommended them ...

What I would feed Bugbites spirulina flake hikari vibra and a mixture of frozen or live brine shrimp daphnia blood worms crushed peas are feed to help with bloating