Apisto trifasciata

Guppysnail

That was a much shorter timeframe than I expected.  She is done with him and has made that abundantly clear.  She is fiercely guarding her cave and sny shrimp that come close get hit.  He came back over to snoop.  She darted out blazing yellow and black doing the side roll warning. He did not listen. She gave him a solid smack down (first time she has even stood up to him). She ran him off the entire way to his side. 
I immediately put the barrier back this time fearing her hurting him. Just like any bully he is a coward at heart. 

I did not realize how many shrimp had grown in this tank. I’ve removed about 100 trying not to stress her. She is calm and trusting of me so it did not seem to bother her.  There are at least 200 +++ more in that tank 🙈
I worry at night the shrimp going in there will stress her to eat eggs or babies. Until now she never went in the cave so the shrimp made it a home.  I’ll keep netting 

Him now pouting in his 1588F537-9E78-4079-8408-8563AA501753.jpeg.07d27eaba8dcba4b326547a985f08e44.jpeg cave 

• Like 1

Yea those females can be nasty; you have to be careful because they sort of 'know' just where to hit another fish to kill it. People have tried breeding borelli in 15 and 20 high aquariums nad have reported the female one shot killing the male even though they are relatively passive species. Trifs are said to be quite aggressive esp m/f.

Edited by anewbie
  • Thanks 1

On 1/12/2024 at 8:53 PM, anewbie said:

Yea those females can be nasty; you have to be careful because they sort of 'know' just where to hit another fish to kill it. People have tried breeding borelli in 15 and 20 high aquariums nad have reported the female one shot killing the male even though they are relatively passive species. Trifs are said to be quite aggressive esp m/f.

Yeah as of today both borellii girls are on eggs. I hope he finally figured out how to fertilize them. The male is being a pest but the girls are not over aggressive yet. I already have a plan to move him if both are fertile and a divider if only 1 set is fertile. 

My little girl is back out. I checked the cave and no eggs. Based on the time she was in there I’m guessing she ate them as they hatched. To be expected if a first batch. 

Im going to work on getting more shrimp out of the tank. They really stressed her during this.