Wood floors

Gideyon

I left the hobby indefinitely after the family increased by 1, and then movedbto another home. 

Now we're wanting our kids to have a betta again (first for #3).  Or 3 platys.   But that's not the point of my post... 

My concern is that the best location for the kids to see is on the main floor which just happens to have wood everywhere. I'd prefer the basement but it's too cold and kids are rarely there. 

So my concern is the wood floor. I know if water stays on the floor for an extended time, it can damage it. Sure we can wipe down water that spills while changing water, or the tank leaks (hopefully not).  But what if water gets under the legs of the stand.  How do we keep water from getting somewhere that we can't reach to dry? 

Anyone have experience with this? 

Edited by Gideyon

Get yourself a mat of some kind. Then put the stand on it (and I'd go with a footed stand you can see under so water can be checked for). The mat could be for a kitchen, desk chair, or a cut to fit piece of linoleum or even some fake wood flooring to match or contrast with what you have cut to a mat size. 

Edited by xXInkedPhoenixX
  • Like 1

But can water get underneath a mat?

I do have a footed stand.

I read one interesting idea. Silicone seal around the feet against the floor.  I assume that's easy to get off the wood when it's time to move.  Just don't know what it'll do to the wood. 

Yes of course potenially water can, however you should make the mat or have a mat that is wide enough that normal water changes would not effect the wood underneath.

You could put the furniture movers under each of the feet to move the aquarium when there's a water issue or put it on a rolling stand, however it should be a small tank with stops so that kids can't move the stand intentionally or accidentally. This would be much harder to do though. 

On 10/14/2023 at 12:06 PM, Gideyon said:

How do we keep water from getting somewhere that we can't reach to dry? 

Anyone have experience with this? 

Welcome back of sorts. I would add to the list of things you might enjoy as a Bolivian ram (single fish in a tank like a Betta) or something like white clouds.  I just wanted to mention then as you might see something you enjoy in those fish as well.

I think towels are a great way to handle floors in that situation. It's definitely not a matter of what could be spilled, but when and how to best handle it. Have a wet dry vac on hand easily accessible to the tank if anything major happens. Beyond that, use towels on things and you can. Always run a circulation fan in the room to dry things out if anything spills.  They do have waterproof rugs for things like bathrooms. Potentially find a nice one that fits the tank area, encourages sitting and viewing the tank as well, and then when anything does flood slightly the rug will help to absorb a lot of that water and can be moved outside to dry right away.