Blue Acara starving

suephoria

I have a beautiful young blue acara that hasn't eaten ANY food in well over a month.   I got it from a LFS about 6 months ago.  It was about 1 inch long, and grew maybe 1/2 inch since.  Initially, for a few months, he (or she?) had a good appetite, then he just stopped eating.  There was no provocation, no new fish, and NO visible sign of disease, other than a concave/sunken lower abdomen due to starvation, and less blue luster.   I've treated with a broad range of antibiotics including prazipro - praziquantel (tape, flat, flukes), expel - levamisole (nematodes, round, hook), paracleanse - praziquantel and metronidazole (flukes, velvet, lice), lifeguard all-in-one - imidazolidinone, Pimafix and Melafix.  All treatments were completed, some repeated, and water changes were as directed. The poor thing has had Zero response to treatment. I've tried numerous foods including frozen carnivore blend, beef heart, mysis/brine shrimp, sinking algae wafers, sinking carnivore wafers, bloodworms, and flakes.  Food has literally hit him in the face with no response; no interest.  Water quality is kept pristine in a 15 gal Fluval quarantine tank with filter, bubbler, no carbon, and heater set to 82.  He's been in isolation for over a month with no progress. He remains interactive, will come up to the glass, etc, but Zero apatite. There are no spots, slime, or other external signs of disease. I've seen no evidence of worms (though treated aggressively 'in case').  No other fish in his former community tank got sick. They are all flourishing. The only clue he gives me is that intermittently he will take a big 'gulp' with his mouth (second pic).  He has no labored breathing at all, but he does this 'gulp' fairly frequently and sometimes in clusters.  He never did this before getting sick.  I haven't been able to see any mass or obstruction in his mouth.  Any thoughts/advice/remaining treatments to try are greatly appreciated!  He's a great fish, and it hurts my heart to watch him die slowly like this. 

Screenshot 2023-10-11 at 7.43.49 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-10-11 at 7.43.01 PM.png

• Sad 2

Sending out the bat signal for @Colu on this situation. Sounds to me like you're doing things right. My instincts say... something internally is diseased. But your treatments all sound like they've covered a wide range of possible problems.

I'm going to be personally honest: After having kept many hundreds of fish over the years, I've adopted a slightly jaded mentality. I wouldn't tend to spend a lot on medicine unless it was a brooder. I'd just buy another EBA. I've kept and bred hundreds of them. I've had to learn that some fish are just not healthy.

Here's a peek at some we've kept and bred...

If it were me, I'd buy some new EBAs. Keep caring for this little one, but enjoy healthy fish meanwhile...

Edited by Fish Folk
  • Thanks 1

On 10/12/2023 at 2:49 AM, suephoria said:

I have a beautiful young blue acara that hasn't eaten ANY food in well over a month.   I got it from a LFS about 6 months ago.  It was about 1 inch long, and grew maybe 1/2 inch since.  Initially, for a few months, he (or she?) had a good appetite, then he just stopped eating.  There was no provocation, no new fish, and NO visible sign of disease, other than a concave/sunken lower abdomen due to starvation, and less blue luster.   I've treated with a broad range of antibiotics including prazipro - praziquantel (tape, flat, flukes), expel - levamisole (nematodes, round, hook), paracleanse - praziquantel and metronidazole (flukes, velvet, lice), lifeguard all-in-one - imidazolidinone, Pimafix and Melafix.  All treatments were completed, some repeated, and water changes were as directed. The poor thing has had Zero response to treatment. I've tried numerous foods including frozen carnivore blend, beef heart, mysis/brine shrimp, sinking algae wafers, sinking carnivore wafers, bloodworms, and flakes.  Food has literally hit him in the face with no response; no interest.  Water quality is kept pristine in a 15 gal Fluval quarantine tank with filter, bubbler, no carbon, and heater set to 82.  He's been in isolation for over a month with no progress. He remains interactive, will come up to the glass, etc, but Zero apatite. There are no spots, slime, or other external signs of disease. I've seen no evidence of worms (though treated aggressively 'in case').  No other fish in his former community tank got sick. They are all flourishing. The only clue he gives me is that intermittently he will take a big 'gulp' with his mouth (second pic).  He has no labored breathing at all, but he does this 'gulp' fairly frequently and sometimes in clusters.  He never did this before getting sick.  I haven't been able to see any mass or obstruction in his mouth.  Any thoughts/advice/remaining treatments to try are greatly appreciated!  He's a great fish, and it hurts my heart to watch him die slowly like this. 

Screenshot 2023-10-11 at 7.43.49 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-10-11 at 7.43.01 PM.png

Can you list how many course of each medication you did  it must be eating a small amount of food otherwise it would have died going a month with out food 

On 10/12/2023 at 4:07 AM, Colu said:

Can you list how many course of each medication you did  it must be eating a small amount of food otherwise it would have died going a month with out food 

Chronologically, 1) pima/melafix numerous 5 day sessions early on before Q-tank.  2) Expel/levamisole 1 pack (113mg)/10gal followed by siphon 24h later, followed by another packet 1 week later.  In between 3) lifeguard one tab (57mg imidazolidinone) per 5gal x 5days, then 25% change on day 7.   4) Prazi 1 tsp/20gal twice 1 week apart, and then 5) paracleanse metronidazole 250mg/praziquantel 75mg 1 packet/10g on day 1, repeated day 3, and followed day 5 by 25% water change. 

On 10/13/2023 at 1:50 AM, suephoria said:

Chronologically, 1) pima/melafix numerous 5 day sessions early on before Q-tank.  2) Expel/levamisole 1 pack (113mg)/10gal followed by siphon 24h later, followed by another packet 1 week later.  In between 3) lifeguard one tab (57mg imidazolidinone) per 5gal x 5days, then 25% change on day 7.   4) Prazi 1 tsp/20gal twice 1 week apart, and then 5) paracleanse metronidazole 250mg/praziquantel 75mg 1 packet/10g on day 1, repeated day 3, and followed day 5 by 25% water change. 

I think your more than likely dealing with a parasitic infections it can take a minimum of 4 course of levamisole 4 1 week apart you have only done 2 course and it can take a minimum of 3 course of prazipro 2  weeks Apart with the 2 course of prazipro and 1 course of paracleanse and Tetra lifeguard I think it's less likely to be tape worms flat worms  flukes what I would do is 3 more full course of levamisole one week apart and add some aquarium salt 1 table spoon for 2 gallons that will aid Gill function and add essential electrolytes or you can do this treatment protocol that very effective to cover all bases 

1000000038.png

1000000041.png

1000000045.png

Edited by Colu
  • Like 1

On 10/12/2023 at 7:24 PM, Colu said:

I think your more than likely dealing with a parasitic infections it can take a minimum of 4 course of levamisole 4 1 week apart you have only done 2 course and it can take a minimum of 3 course of prazipro 2  weeks Apart with the 2 course of prazipro and 1 course of paracleanse and Tetra lifeguard I think it's less likely to be tape worms flat worms  flukes what I would do is 3 more full course of levamisole one week apart and add some aquarium salt 1 table spoon for 2 gallons that will aid Gill function and add essential electrolytes or you can do this treatment protocol that very effective to cover all bases 

1000000038.png

1000000041.png

1000000045.png

Started the top protocol this evening. Thank you.  I’ll keep you posted🤞

image.jpg

• Like 1

On 10/15/2023 at 5:49 AM, quikv6 said:

Flubendazole would also be worthwhile to try. I have had better results with it versus levamisole specifically when a fish isn't eating. As for food, my EBA loves live earthworms. A small one may be a good option. Keep us posted.

Ordered it Thank You!

• 1 month later...

@Fish Folk @Colu @quikv6 

You saved my Acara!!!  Fish Folk thank you so much for sending the 'bat signal' (I still quote that when I tell people this story)😁  Colu I followed your consolidated protocol, and then changed to Flubendazole per Quikv6 recs as soon as it arrived.  In less than a week my EBA, whom I've since named Gandhi for the prolonged starvation, ate his first pellet, 2 weeks later he finally pooped, and this evening he is eating Hungrily!  I actually had to cut him off this evening while feeding frozen carnivore diet/beef heart because I was worried he was going to hurt himself eating so much.  I'm so thankful to you all.  I didn't think I could become so attached to a little fish, but there is something about the EBAs. He's a charming little creature 🥰  

WIth Much Gratitude -- Happy Thanksgiving!!!

• Like 3
  • Love 2