Raising fry with green water

Mattyd123

Just thought I’d share how I've been raising my Zebra danio and whitecloud mix of fry,

so I quarantined my 10 danio and 10 whiteclouds when i brought them home from the store for multiple weeks treating with my own version of the med trio available in the UK. About 3 days after i removed them from quarantine and into my display tank the quarantine tank was bursting with tiiiny fry stuck all around the tank glass 

now this tank is in my bedroom and i dont really fancy having an infusoria culture on the go due the smells that come along with it. So i used about 1 gallon of the “pea soup” green water from my outside whiskey barrel pond and just water changed it in every other day, i did this for about 2 weeks and the fry are doing amazing and are now onto first bites and brine shrimp. 
just thought i would share this as I haven't seen many people talking about this suuper easy way of raising up those fry who are too small to feed. 

let me know what you guys think as I’ve only done this once so im not sure how repeatable it is but it seems almost too easy compared to culturing all sorts of different live foods.

• Like 2

Excellent! Can you explain exactly what you did in terms of water changes? The reference for “it” was unclear to me. I understood you to have added ca. 1-gal. green water from outside to your aquarium; then water changed the aquarium heavily. Did I understand correctly? If so, say more about that please. I’m interested in understanding your thought process.

Aside… I was gobsmacked at some lovely Pearl Danios at my LFS last eve. Stunning little gemstones!

Hey Fish Folk sorry about the slow reply, yeah so basically i would drain roughly 20-40% ish of water out of the tank with the fry in, then use just refil the tank with green water from my green water ricefish pond outside, both are unheated so I’d just let the green water from the pond match room temp and them syphon it back into the tank 

these are the first danios I’ve ever kept and i really understand why people say they are underated, my 90 gal community tank is so alive after adding them in! 

just need to work out what to do with all these fry now 😂