Easy Live foods

BigJ

I'm very close to pulling the trigger and getting some fish (elassoma) I've wanted for quite some time  from another forum member. The one thing that has me hesitating however is the fact that they require live foods and I'm totally in experienced in this area and don't know where to start. Are there any live foods that fit the following criteria? Or are somewhat close to it

1. Relatively inexpensive. (Can either be maintained as culture indefinitely or are easily sorced and super inexpensive so I don't have to get a part time job)

2. Can be maintained at room temperature (I don't think I'm getting any creepy-crawlys in the fridge)

3. Not to time consuming (won't require the amount of work equivalent to a second job)

I'd love to get Ideas and suggestions as well as specific sources and or methods of culturing,  thanks for the help.

Grindle worms all day long. Little moist potting soil. Microwave fry dog kibble then soak in water toss a collecting plate on top and that’s it. Totally room temp and appropriate size for Elassoma. 

These are my cultures.  A detail instruction took place that’s why I’m linking it for you. 

• Love 1

@Guppysnail is the worm queen😝🤪. You can check her journal and see how worms work for her. Healthy fish with lots of breeding action.

I also love vinegar eels. Super easy to culture. Just harvesting takes long but you dont have to do anything really. It is just them swimming up to freshwater part takes around 8 hours or so. But basically you dont need to do anything other than setting them up for harvesting which takes like 10 seconds to do so. Not sure if your fish would show interest towards them tho as they are tiny.

I love live bbs too. Easy to culture again and fish go crazy

None of these actually require work to do and will barely take a couple minutes to do in my experience.

• Thanks 1

You can grow vinegar eels in a “high density” culture very similar to microworms, but switching to apple cider vinegar for 1/2 the total volume of the liquid.  The vinegar eels climb up the sides of the container just like microworms and harvested the same way.  This makes them much easier to harvest and they grow much more densely so you can get greater numbers to feed with no,waiting for them to concentrate at the surface of the liquid.