ChemBob

I have noticed my KH has been a bit lower in my 20 gallon tank lately,about 40ppm vs my tap of about 120ppm. I missed last week's maintenance, and when I checked today. KH was 0 and pH was 6.2. Normal pH is about 7.5, which is about where my tap runs. My tank is heavily planted, has 3 sterbai corydoras, 2 or 3 amano shrimp, and a lot of snails (chopstick, pond, nerite, and ramshorn).

What would be causing a drastic reduction in KH and pH in a tank? I assume something is producing acid. I normally do weekly 25% water changes. I dose Easy Green twice a week. 

I am putting a group of Endlers Livebearers in the tank in a few weeks when they finish quarantine. I ordered some aragonite to up hardness and pH and keep it more stable, but I'd still like to know what could be consuming the KH. Any thoughts? 

20201019_211244.jpg

• Administrators

Nothing stands out as a problem to cause that. Have you done the glass off water test where you take a glass of tap water, put an air stone in it, and then 24 hours later test the water to see if it's the same as when it comes out?

3 minutes ago, Cory said:

Nothing stands out as a problem to cause that. Have you done the glass off water test where you take a glass of tap water, put an air stone in it, and then 24 hours later test the water to see if it's the same as when it comes out?

I have not. I'll set that up tomorrow and report back.