Unhappy tankmates

Tanked

Tinfoil Barbs and Silver Dollars are supposed to be compatible tankmates.  I've watched videos with them together.My TFBs disagree.  The last time I tried this, the TFBs. would piledrive the SDs into the substrate.  They both need space, so partitioning the tank isn't a real option.  I'm considering just letting them work it out overnight, instead of an hour or two.  I could also add hardscape and plastic plants.  The tank is pretty bare.  A third option is to move the barbs into the tank with the SDs and break up the territorial behavior. (not my first choice)

Suggestions?

On 9/21/2023 at 12:04 PM, mynameisnobody said:

@Tanked personally I wouldn’t put any of those fish in anything less than 75 until 6” then onto at least a 125. They may be feeling some confinement issues. SD’s and TFB’s need some good room because they are so active. 

The additional horizontal swimming space is why I am trying to get everybody into the 75.  I've never gotten the barbs to grow past the 8" mark, and I don't see this group getting that big.  My Silver Dollars aren't all that active.

On 9/22/2023 at 9:13 AM, mynameisnobody said:

@Tanked 

I've watched this video several times. It is one of the reasons that I believe these fish are supposed to be compatible. It shows or at least mentions the Silver Dollars, Angelfish and Tinfoil Barbs in the same tank.  It also identifies the TFBs as Barbonymus Schwanenfeldii.  I have Barbonymus Altus.  The Red Tailed variety is smaller

At this point I should probably leave well enough alone and give up on having live plants in the 65.

Go for emerse.  Or fast growing, relatively tough, might last a while.  The swords on the left side got fairly recently mowed down.  The potted sword on the right side that’s not the one in the corner got fairly recently pulled up.  It was well rooted for a bit over a year.  The lucky bamboo would likely do fine, even against tinfoil barbs and full grown silver dollars.  I’ve got them planted in a pot with large pebbles securing the bases and sink caddies securing the tops.  But any other plants will likely end up goners.  I’ll probably have to give up the swords in this tank at some point.  I’ve already given up on the Crinums doing well.  I just need to pull them (it) out.  The Vallisneria didn’t even survive the Jack Dempseys to make it long enough to test against the silver dollars.

The first pic was early this week.  Second pic a couple weeks after switching to planted from plastic.

IMG_5247.jpeg

IMG_2915.jpeg

Edited by Odd Duck
Switch pics
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

On 9/22/2023 at 3:08 PM, Odd Duck said:

Go for emerse.  Or fast growing, relatively tough, might last a while.  The swords on the left side got fairly recently mowed down.  The potted sword on the right side that’s not the one in the corner got fairly recently pulled up.  It was well rooted for a bit over a year.  The lucky bamboo would likely do fine, even against tinfoil barbs and full grown silver dollars.  I’ve got them planted in a pot with large pebbles securing the bases and sink caddies securing the tops.  But any other plants will likely end up goners.  I’ll probably have to give up the swords in this tank at some point.  I’ve already given up on the Crinums doing well.  I just need to pull them (it) out.  The Vallisneria didn’t even survive the Jack Dempseys to make it long enough to test against the silver dollars.

The first pic was early this week.  Second pic a couple weeks after switching to planted from plastic.

IMG_5247.jpeg

IMG_2915.jpeg

I have some plants behind fences. in both tanks.  The Val in the barb tank lasted 1 day.  I'm guessing that they managed to get a hold on one leaf and pulled the entire plant through the fence.  I'm thinking about moving the pothos in with the SDs.  It might be interesting to see what they do with the roots.

Was the bamboo was already that tall when you put it in?  If it will grow in low light, the bamboo might be doable.

On 9/23/2023 at 6:56 AM, Tanked said:

I have some plants behind fences. in both tanks.  The Val in the barb tank lasted 1 day.  I'm guessing that they managed to get a hold on one leaf and pulled the entire plant through the fence.  I'm thinking about moving the pothos in with the SDs.  It might be interesting to see what they do with the roots.

Was the bamboo was already that tall when you put it in?  If it will grow in low light, the bamboo might be doable.

Poor Val!  It tries, but really just doesn’t hold up to anybody with a hankering for greens.  It suffered in my angel tank but it’s trying harder than usual this time around.  I might even get it actually established vs. just struggling along.

The bamboo was purchased through Amazon and the second pic was only about 2 weeks after it was put in.  It came with the long, straight stems, then curled at the top with new, succulent growth from the harder stems.  It’s been growing for a couple months over a year, now, and some of the softer, growing stems got so tall they fell over so I brutally cut it back about a month ago.  It is right against a west facing window that gets some shade from a tree outside the window and the mini blinds are partially tilted to get a good bit of sun into the emerse plants.  You can see BBA all over the stems of the bamboo in the first pic.  I haven’t tried to remove it at all.  I need to get in this tank with some peroxide.  It’s on my “to do” list.  I would get an SAE or 2, but I’ve got plecos in that tank that I hope might breed if they ever stop lying to me about fanning eggs.  I plan to pull fry about 4-5 days after I see they are hatched if I ever get any.