Fluval 07 series cleaning - what am I doing wrong

Ruud

Hello all, 

I have a Fluval 107 cannister filter hooked up into my Blau Cube aquarium and its doing pretty well. I like the simplicity of the design and how easy it is to clean and get pumping again. However...

When I clean it I lock the tubes, disconnect them, open up the cannister, clean the filters in aquarium water, clean the cannister itself, rinse the biomax in aquarium water and put it all together again. Hookup everything, pump it up and then.... It spews out a load of dirty water initially before going to clean water.... 

Where does that come from, and how do I get rid of that? Only thing I can think of is the tubes... 

Thoughts?

I am hooking up a 207 to my 25 gallon tank I have in progress and want to avoid thesame situation

Thanks

Ruud 

I have purchased micron media bags and filter socks. There are times when I want to change purigen or add carbon or etc….and just don’t have time to clean tubes.  

I have releasing zip ties and fasten the mesh over the outflow. This collects all the tube debris so it does not flush into the tank.  It’s an easy quick hack. Not ideal the way cleaning the tubes would be but time is not always on my side. Sometimes I’m just flat out lazy 🤣

• 3 weeks later...

So update on this one. Today was maintenance day and I cleaned the 107 and also for the first time in a year or so I cleaned the tubes..... OH MY GOD how much crap came out of those, incredible! That alone might be the source of my nagging brown algae issues. 

After thorough cleaning and putting everything back together I started thinking whether I should have cleaned the tubes with aquarium water instead of doing it with the tap and sink... I guess it doesn't matter as the filter itself is fully seasoned. 

• Like 1

On 10/7/2023 at 4:53 AM, Ruud said:

After thorough cleaning and putting everything back together I started thinking whether I should have cleaned the tubes with aquarium water instead of doing it with the tap and sink... I guess it doesn't matter as the filter itself is fully seasoned. 

Definitely take the tubes to the sink/yard. There's no need to preserve the gunk in there.

• Like 1