I desperately need advice about setting up a new aquarium

Herefishie

I decided to get into the hobby about a year ago. Being a novice, I ordered a 15 gallon Fluval Flex kit. Pretty much a no-brainer since it basically came with everything. I have enjoyed it but the one thing I don't like is I have it on my kitchen counter and in order for me to clean the back sections, I have to pull the tank forward. I hate having to do that because I'm afraid at some point it's going to break. I've been hearing people mention long aquariums. I think I would like to try something like that that's longer/wider and not so tall. This Flex is 14 1/2 inches tall. 

My dilemma comes from being completely clueless on all the components I would need to order. I see long tanks on Amazon but I have absolutely no clue as far as lids, lights, etc.

I would like a lid as opposed to just a light because I have a mystery snail who loves to try to climb out of the tank. I just feel overwhelmed with what goes with what and what would work. Thank you so much in advance.

• Like 1

Re getting behind the existing Flex, how often do you try to clean back there? I'm wondering if you might integrate it with water changes? Eg the tank would be easier to shift if it wasn't full. You might also consider some sort of metal plate under the tank, so it slides better. I think the Flex has a glass bottom with no supporting frame, so you do need a foam mat, but if you put a piece of think plastic or metal under the mat, it should slice fairly well. Or even take packing tape and tape it smooth side down on the under side of the mat. 

Re sizing a lid, in your mind are you seeing the new tank as rimless, or with rim? 

On 9/18/2023 at 12:28 PM, TOtrees said:

Re getting behind the existing Flex, how often do you try to clean back there? I'm wondering if you might integrate it with water changes? Eg the tank would be easier to shift if it wasn't full. You might also consider some sort of metal plate under the tank, so it slides better. I think the Flex has a glass bottom with no supporting frame, so you do need a foam mat, but if you put a piece of think plastic or metal under the mat, it should slice fairly well. Or even take packing tape and tape it smooth side down on the under side of the mat. 

Re sizing a lid, in your mind are you seeing the new tank as rimless, or with rim? 

I do a deep clean in the back three sections about every six weeks. I need to take the pump out and clean it as well as the foam filter. It is filthy after about six weeks. I take about 30% of the water out before pulling the tank forward. I have a smooth granite countertop so it's not that hard to pull it forward but I just know it's putting stress on it every time I do that. 

I honestly don't care if it's rimless or not. I would just like something wider and not so tall so it would be easier to clean. Thanks for your advice.

On 9/18/2023 at 10:21 PM, Herefishie said:

I do understand that but my dilemma is if I bought just a tank, how in the would I know what lid would fit it? There are so many variations. I guess that's why I went with a kit to begin with, lol. 

I usually have my tanks long and wide but shallow. I love it this way. All tanks of mine are custom made.

Is DIY or having a lid custom made is an option where you live?

On 9/18/2023 at 12:38 PM, Lennie said:

I usually have my tanks long and wide but shallow. I love it this way. All tanks of mine are custom made.

Is DIY or having a lid custom made is an option where you live?

I haven't looked into that. I live in Phoenix. I see they sell some mesh on Amazon but I wouldn't have a clue how to attach it so it didn't look terrible, lol.

On 9/18/2023 at 11:45 AM, Herefishie said:

I just feel overwhelmed with what goes with what and what would work. Thank you so much in advance.

I saw this video and maybe it fits a bit about where you're at right now. It's a unique approach by someone in the hobby who works at a shop and has the ability to do this video.

The nice thing about the hobby is that there is a lot of different ways to achieve the tank setup.

Maybe there is a space for a tank and a stand. You get a stand and all you really need is to move the flex you already have. Very straightforward!

If you want a tank specifically in that spot, I would check out this video. It's a kitchen setup. It gives you an idea of how to position the equipment and what sort of equipment works well for that space.

For me personally, it's a bit easier to visualize and fill in the construct of the plan if I have that understanding of what I want to do and what the needs are. Hopefully the above two videos help with context and filling in some of the visual gaps! As for the flex, if you don't already, please go check out a channel called pecktec. He's a really chill, easygoing person and has almost every flex and spec tank you can think of with years of content on those products.

On 9/18/2023 at 12:07 PM, Herefishie said:

I have nowhere else to put an aquarium in my house so the counter it is. I cleaned it this morning and I actually heard a small pop when I was moving it forward. Made me very nervous. 😳

I would recommend getting a stand. It's very likely the counter will crack or something will fail.  Most countertops can take some weight, but installation quality is all over the place. Better to buy a stand then remodel the kitchen.

There is also a white version.

Hagen HG Fluval Flex 15g Aquarium Stand Black, AHG15015 https://a.co/d/bKEnNfD

On 9/18/2023 at 1:45 PM, Herefishie said:

My only question is, do you think one of Cory's lights would fit on top and is it OK to have the light above the glass top?

For information clarity only.... as mentioned above, I would relocate the tank....

Yes you can have the light above a glass lid. The rimless tanks have a gap around the edge and that can damage some lights. It will not cause issues with lights that are certified to handle it. The coop light and the fluval lights are certified for this. They also have lights for rimless tanks that lift up on an edge mounted gooseneck and would be safe to use. They also have lights that come with "feet" called risers that would be safe to use as well.

• Thanks 1

On 9/18/2023 at 3:32 PM, Herefishie said:

I do a deep clean in the back three sections about every six weeks. I need to take the pump out and clean it as well as the foam filter. It is filthy after about six weeks. I take about 30% of the water out before pulling the tank forward. I have a smooth granite countertop so it's not that hard to pull it forward but I just know it's putting stress on it every time I do that. 

Unless the pump is getting clogged, etc. I would clean the back section less. You will probably still need to take out the sponge at your regular interval and give that a rinse to get out some of the mulm. In general, filter compartments tend to do get gunky, but that's not necessarily a bad thing unless it's hitting critical mass.

Can you put the aquarium on some kind of pad or mat and pull that forward with the aquarium sitting on that? Something that slides well and doesn't have a lot of friction with the counter.

Aquariums are stronger than we think (but not invincible). You probably wont break it by sliding it, a long as it slides easily. If you can pull it by a mat underneath it, then you won't be putting any pressure on the sides of the aquarium when you move it.

Edited by tolstoy21

I want to thank all of you that so kindly gave me advice and posted videos for me to watch. I went ahead and did order that shorter/wider tank and the lid. I also ordered a light, air pump, sponge filter, new substrate, etc. I believe since this new one will be much shorter it will eliminate the need for me to move the aquarium when I clean. The spot that it's going to be in my kitchen is a long bar which is where my current one is and I really like the look of it there.   I want to be able to enjoy it. My kitchen and family room (where I spend most of my time) are open. I literally have nowhere to put a stand. I appreciate all the great advice you guys gave me!