My First Community Tank

Frizzy_Tyger

Hello All!

I am setting up my first community tank, and just looking for somewhere to keep my progress. 

I have kept a few Bettas in 5 gallon cycled tanks, the last of which I had for 4 years.  For plants I had moss balls and java fern.

After a 3 year hiatus, a few moves and some general life getting in the way, I started to concider getting another fish.  As I started looking at a new setup since I had gotten rid of my old one I started to be very interested in a larger tank, and have spent that past few months deciding.

I picked up a 20g long, glass lid, nicrew 24/7 light, sponge filter, and a tetra ex30.  I packed the filter with sponge, floss and some purigen (to remove tannins I don't care for the black water look).

IMG_20230916_085000936_HDR.jpg.31266d3ed6d2d28e80317be2d5a324b2.jpg

Here is my hardscape, I am just waiting on plants.

It is a dirted tank, capped with hth pool filter sand.

Manopi wood, river rock, terracotta pot, and a random driftwood stick that I think I might remove if I can find another way to hide the heater

tl/dr: first community tank 20g long.  Have experience with Bettas and cycling a tank.  Here is my hardscape.

Edited by Frizzy_Tyger
typos

• 2 weeks later...

I got the tank planted last week and the water is finally clear.

I used a bottle of fritz zyme 7.  I am already showing 0 amonia 24 hours after dosing 2ppm, and showing nitrates, but nitrite is still showing over 5ppm.

IMG_20230929_181510554_HDR.jpg.1426a5f65e36978b15b87855bd4a4146.jpg

Plant List

Golden Creeping Jenny

Jungle Val

Java Fern Windlove

Java Moss

Dwarf Sag

Anubias Barteri

Monte Carlo

Assorted Buce

Mystery Crypt