Finding State by state fish keeping regulations

Rene2199

On 9/13/2023 at 7:38 PM, Rene2199 said:

Hello, my wife and I are looking to move to a different state, and we have some fish and are looking to add bigger tanks and more fish in the future. How can we find out which states allow which fish?

The rules vary by state.  Here in Ohio there are 32 "injurious" aquatic animals (fish, crustaceans, mollusks) that you are banned from possesing unless they are dead, pickled, and or dismembered. Almost none of these animals are found in the average aquarium. This list is different from the "invasive" species list.   Some states actually have lists of approved (unrestricted) aquarium fish.  The folks here might be able to help, or better yet, contact the DNR in the state you are moving too. 

On 9/13/2023 at 7:49 PM, Fish Folk said:

Probably easiest for us to help you with the details… what species? 

Well for example, i live in California now and ive heard that we aren't allow to have sting rays... im not sure if that appplies to fresh water or salt water or both 

• Like 1

On 9/14/2023 at 12:09 PM, Rene2199 said:

Well for example, i live in California now and ive heard that we aren't allow to have sting rays... im not sure if that appplies to fresh water or salt water or both 

So, just to be clear, are you specifically asking about CA regulations governing keeping, importing, or transporting Potamotrygonidae to your current home?

If so, the regulation that applies is found here, see pg. 14, and 18.

But if you’re trying to _actually_ ask if you’ll legally be allowed to gave them in _some other_ state, do let us know.