Orange and yellow shrimp

Lizzyduff

I've been told orange and yellow shrimp can't inter-breed, is this accurate? I currently have 1 blue dream tank,  1 red cherry tank, and a yellow tank.  Would it be safe to add some of the gorgeous orange shrimp from ACoOp into the yellow tank without risking them mating and producing wild types? I've spent a long time culling and improving my colors so the last thing I need is some genetic roulette game screwing it up. 

I guess I could just get another tank for the oranges... 🤔

• Like 1

On 9/10/2023 at 6:14 PM, Lizzyduff said:

I've been told orange and yellow shrimp can't inter-breed, is this accurate?

I have no idea about anyone else but in my personal experience I have actually seen firsthand yellow and oranges interbreed. They produce some light orange and a few yellow and then oddly enough some like blue jelly and light green wilds. I'd def err on the side of caution if you want to keep your strains pure!

This sounds like the perfect opportunity for another tank! 😂

On 9/10/2023 at 4:14 PM, Lizzyduff said:

I've been told orange and yellow shrimp can't inter-breed, is this accurate? I currently have 1 blue dream tank,  1 red cherry tank, and a yellow tank.  Would it be safe to add some of the gorgeous orange shrimp from ACoOp into the yellow tank without risking them mating and producing wild types? I've spent a long time culling and improving my colors so the last thing I need is some genetic roulette game screwing it up. 

Mostly all "colors" of Neo shrimp are based on neocaridina davidi species and can definitely interbreed.  Some of the newer ones are based on newly discovered Neo species and this is mainly only attributed to Snowball shrimp.

Right now, Red.... all forms..., green, blue, orange, or yellow are generally from the same line.

Neo Shrimp.jpeg

On 9/10/2023 at 5:11 PM, itsfoxtail said:

I have no idea about anyone else but in my personal experience I have actually seen firsthand yellow and oranges interbreed. They produce some light orange and a few yellow and then oddly enough some like blue jelly and light green wilds. I'd def err on the side of caution if you want to keep your strains pure!

This sounds like the perfect opportunity for another tank! 😂

Oooh that sounds interesting... blue and green... huh.  I guess I don't need any more arm twisting... time for another tank! LMAO 🤣 

On 9/10/2023 at 7:46 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Mostly all "colors" of Neo shrimp are based on neocaridina davidi species and can definitely interbreed.  Some of the newer ones are based on newly discovered Neo species and this is mainly only attributed to Snowball shrimp.

Right now, Red.... all forms..., green, blue, orange, or yellow are generally from the same line.

Neo Shrimp.jpeg

Oh! How have I not seen this graphic before?!? This is brilliant, thank you!!

• Love 1

All neocaridina colors are the same species and can interbreed. The issue with this however is different from the issue with mixing strains of other species. The way colors are developed in neocaridina shrimp is each color is essentially missing part of the genetic puzzle that wild types have. When you start mixing colors, they quickly start filling those missing puzzle pieces and will start to turn brown. This will even happen in a tank of just 1 color and is why culling is essential but in a mixed tank it happens much faster and easier. 

Edited by Cinnebuns
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1