Livebearers are cool! (40 breeder journal)

FyaNyan

Hello šŸ™‚

Iā€™ve decided to turn a new leaf in my aquarium adventures. Iā€™ve had multiple tanks for a few years, but felt as if none of them were truly at their best. So for the present, Iā€™m going to downsize to on one tank and really pour some love into it.Ā I want to make a journal of my progress with this tank!

THIS WEEK

I decided to give up my goldfish (for various reasons) and move the stock and plants from my 20 gallon into his 40 breeder. I spent a little extra on new plants and am very happy with the results!

7E57B15A-1B9B-407F-87D4-7AF8579F165F.jpeg.562e9c2d72740f5a165013a8b6e7e1de.jpeg3C6FD243-4345-42F4-A8E1-373EFC88DF23.jpeg.dfe956f499265e034a743eb13d2208e0.jpeg

Current stock: 1 BN pleco, 2 cherry barbs (leftovers from a previous batch), 6 guppies, and 2 snails.

The guppies are looking a little ripped up. Not sure when or why that happened, but they seem active and are eating well. One looks a little sickly, but I think heā€™s looked malformed since I got him. They are in much cleaner conditions now (I had neglected their tank somewhat).

I plan on adding a school of orange or red colored livebearers, leaning toward a small group of swordtails. I had always stayed away from livebearers at the beginning of my time in the hobby because I thought they were boring and too ā€œfakeā€ looking. Now their ā€œfakeā€ colors are exactly why I want them! They are super cool fish, perhaps my favorite.

Iā€™m going to hold off on getting new fish for the time being, address any potential fin rot on the guppies, order some root tabs, and let the plants settle in. I know some of the Amazon swords will die back before growing in for real, but Iā€™m very excited for this project!

Edited by FyaNyan
  • Love 2

On 9/7/2023 at 8:41 PM, Guppysnail said:

Looks great. That is an awesome and interesting piece of wood.Ā 
Ā 

Itā€™s actually three pieces of spiderwood. I have found if you put the wood upside-down the shapes are more interesting and dynamic.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

JOURNAL ENTRY #2

Soā€¦I immediately regretted adding the hornwort because the whole thing shedded and looked TERRIBLE. I moved the guppy grass onto the ā€œtreeā€ to make the leaves and the result is better anyway.

Today I added two tall Amazon swords to the tank. Just waiting for the store to get another so I can plant something in front of the heater to cover up/fill in that area. I also finally put root tabs around every plant and am looking forward to the new growth that will surely come! This is what the tank looks like currently.

IMG_2491.jpeg.d560e15e918301f6a53e73498a7c4dcd.jpeg

The plan is to make this into a molly tank. I am going to cycle out the guppies and cherry barbs naturally, so I will be left with only mollies, snails, and a BN pleco.

I bought some young gold nugget mollies from the store today and am treating them for ich (preventative). They will be in quarantine for at least three weeks. At that time I will check if they are healthy enough to put into my display tank.

IMG_2492.jpeg.9ae0f4eb055768d7cd6ce6e90da0f284.jpeg

JOURNAL ENTRY #3

Well, the new fish all died. Except one. Heā€™s not looking the best but will perhaps make it. Sad day. šŸ˜¢

The fish all died at the same time and suddenly. Didnā€™t appear to be ick, maybe they got zapped?? I donā€™t know. Iā€™ve got a Fluval M series heater but I did accidentally (lazily) leave it running while doing a water change for like a minute. Perhaps it got broken.

I am going to set up a larger QT bin, use a different heater, and make ABSOLUTELY SURE I was dosing meds correctly. Thereā€™s so many factors as to why they died that itā€™s very dissatisfying. Hopefully I can correct the mistake so I can actually see them through QT.

Ā