DIY Co2 system

I made my own co2 system using pop bottles and sugar gelatin base with yeast, baking soda and water topper

i am getting pressure but not a ton.  So I can’t use the co2 diffusers I bought they are for the full systems.  So am wondering what is a good co2 diffuser to use for DIY systems? I am using cigarette filter in a tube right now.  But was hoping to buy one that looks better. 

Edited by Stephan1973
Referenced a business and didn’t want that

I have read that others here feed the output into their hob, or into the outflow or inflow of their powerhead.

I read elsewhere that airstones or glass diffusers might eventually clog.

I fed my yeast co2 into a water change squeeze bulb connected to the powerhead outflow. Was using that to prevent backflow and force any escaping bubbles into the water stream. I just have to remember to squeeze the bulb everytime I reset the system. I chose to feed the co2 into the outflow rather than inflow, just to avoid any cavitation issues when I switch over in the future to pressurized co2. You can almost see it in this photo, back left corner.

Edited by HelplessNewbie

The easiest option is to secure an inverted container of some sort in the tank and send the CO2 into that. Where the CO2 and water meet, gas exchange will take place adding CO2 to the water column. I think it's the San Francisco aquarium store the Coop has shown several times that uses that method with success. 

• Like 5

I agree with gardenman, a bell system shown below maybe a better way. I assume with yeast CO2 system, you don't have to control the output as they produce little CO2. So just slowly fill up a diffusing bell and let the water absorb what it can. Something like this:

image.jpeg.168685dc9aaa8d36ca8b2f63d996b83c.jpeg

On 8/31/2023 at 7:06 AM, gardenman said:

The easiest option is to secure an inverted container of some sort in the tank and send the CO2 into that. Where the CO2 and water meet, gas exchange will take place adding CO2 to the water column. I think it's the San Francisco aquarium store the Coop has shown several times that uses that method with success. 

I saw that video and have used that method with a yeast and sugar mixture.  It works event though the CO2 production isn't consistent. My "exchanger" is a free floating water bottle.  It isn't pretty, but in the project tank, it doesn't matter.

@madmark285 Is that bell an Amazon item?

• Like 1

On 9/1/2023 at 11:02 AM, Tanked said:

Is that bell an Amazon item?

Yes, CO2 Diffuser. On clearance from Walmart, they have this 2Pcs Aquarium CO2 System Pro Tube which screw on the top of the bottle. Picture below:

I may add a diffuser to my lid made with PVC, just glue on a piece of pipe which extends into the water. 

CO2top.jpg.2987ab6eac5e86adf4c8506066b4a5ff.jpg

Edited by madmark285
  • Like 1

On 8/31/2023 at 7:06 AM, gardenman said:

I did this for a while, as well, but went with diy for the bell.Screenshot_20230901-195257.png.131c76cfd3ea3aadc2f462f1c32d7a02.png

• Like 1