Missing kuhli loach and an ammonia spike....

cr0wley

Hi there, a couple of weeks ago I got some ghost shrimp and a 4 kuhlis for my 5 gallon. I haven't seen the 4th kuhli in a few days, and today woke up to a bit of a stinky tank and an ammonia spike. Is it very possible that it could've died under the substrate or have been eaten by the shrimp/snails after death? I'm a bit puzzled by this. I've read that kuhlis can disappear for a while, but the ammonia spike leads me to believe that something happened.

It seems SOMETHING might've died in the tank. Yes it's entirely possible the Kuhli is the culprit. Do you feed the tank heavily (just trying to eliminate a food caused spike). I would look a little harder to see if you can find the Kuhli- it's possible the shirmp/snails could have eaten some but ammonia spike hints that there may be pieces left...

On 8/30/2023 at 8:14 AM, xXInkedPhoenixX said:

It seems SOMETHING might've died in the tank. Yes it's entirely possible the Kuhli is the culprit. Do you feed the tank heavily (just trying to eliminate a food caused spike). I would look a little harder to see if you can find the Kuhli- it's possible the shirmp/snails could have eaten some but ammonia spike hints that there may be pieces left...

I fed heavily last week, vacuum gravelled it up and did a few wcs. I moved all of the critters out to my 10g for now, looked through the substrate and under everything and could not find a body. Going to let the tank just go for a week or two to process the excess and then move them back over.

• Like 1

khuli will bury themselves if the substrate is soft and fine (something they prefer); also khuli are one fish you do not want in an immature aquarium and are very sensitive to ammonia. Having said all of this there is no way to answer your question - but will comment that khuli have very little mass and over-feeding even if you vacuum is always bad.

On 8/30/2023 at 12:05 PM, anewbie said:

khuli will bury themselves if the substrate is soft and fine (something they prefer); also khuli are one fish you do not want in an immature aquarium and are very sensitive to ammonia. Having said all of this there is no way to answer your question - but will comment that khuli have very little mass and over-feeding even if you vacuum is always bad.

All of the other kuhlis and the ghost shrimp I moved over to the 10g have been doing just fine. I'm really perplexed by what could have happened. I sifted through all of the substrate and found a dead shrimp, but absolutely no sign or skeleton of the 4th kuhli. The aquarium isn't very immature, its been running for about 6 months with just snails in it.