Fish stand weight capacity

TwoFace99

Hello, I’m trying to figure out how much weight a specific stand can exactly hold (Likeem 55gal aquarium stand off of Amazon). It states the stand can reliably hold up to 660 pounds, and when I did the calculations for a 55 gallon tank (1 gallon is 8.34 pounds) it comes out to 458.7 pounds with 201.3 pounds leftover. 
However, when I look up online how much a 55 gallon tank weighs with water, I’m getting numbers from 625-650 pounds, yet there’s no mention if this includes the substrate/rocks/plants/fish/etc or anything misc that is potentially on the lower shelves. 

Now, I’m confused if I have to look for a stand that can significantly hold more weight 800-1000 pounds. Please help. 

Here are images of the product in question below:

IMG_0296.png

IMG_0297.png

IMG_0298.png

Edited by TwoFace99
  • Like 2

These are very similar to the "big box store" brand stands under the brooklyn style name.  They are a bit thinner material and reviews on them do specify some weight issues.  Last I checked (literally yesterday) they were running deep discounts on some of their stands as well, as much to 60% off on some styles.

As far as what that stand can hold, it's from a brand that I don't know the engineering standards of, which means that if something happens, you're at the mercy of getting in contact with that company for any damage claims.

image.png.4f969ed294817fc5babd174d24e936b3.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@TwoFace99 Hi... I don't think any of these would have an issue with the weight as long as they are level. I would be more concerned about securing the stand knowing how high the "center-of-gravity" is on some of the taller stands. They can be top heavy which is a possible issue when the front legs are particularly close to the back legs (a narrow stand from front to back). I would recommend, if possible, securing the top back edge of the stand to the wall for just an added bit of stability and peace-of-mind... but, that's just me. As far as aesthetics, I would vote for the more modern looking designs you posted in your initial question. Thanks.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 8/27/2023 at 5:53 PM, JChristophersAdventures said:

@TwoFace99 Hi... I don't think any of these would have an issue with the weight as long as they are level. I would be more concerned about securing the stand knowing how high the "center-of-gravity" is on some of the taller stands. They can be top heavy which is a possible issue when the front legs are particularly close to the back legs (a narrow stand from front to back). I would recommend, if possible, securing the top back edge of the stand to the wall for just an added bit of stability and peace-of-mind... but, that's just me. As far as aesthetics, I would vote for the more modern looking designs you posted in your initial question. Thanks.

Thank you very much. Would you suggest I push the stand up against the wall as much as possible (HOB filter will be apart of the tank setup)? 
Also, I forgot to include one more image as I was more concerned with correcting my knowledge of the weight capacity, but this 55gal stand in particular can have its heights adjusted. 

IMG_0299.png

• Like 2

On 8/27/2023 at 5:29 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

These are very similar to the "big box store" brand stands under the brooklyn style name.  They are a bit thinner material and reviews on them do specify some weight issues.  Last I checked (literally yesterday) they were running deep discounts on some of their stands as well, as much to 60% off on some styles.

As far as what that stand can hold, it's from a brand that I don't know the engineering standards of, which means that if something happens, you're at the mercy of getting in contact with that company for any damage claims.

image.png.4f969ed294817fc5babd174d24e936b3.png

Thank you. I guess I will pass up on this product as I’m trying to avoid spending so much on an acrylic aquarium/stand combo. 

Also, I tried to look up the company but I couldn’t find any customer support options to inquire more about this stand. Any reliable stands for a 55 gallon tank? 

On 8/27/2023 at 11:12 PM, lefty o said:

for me, a pretty good estimate for glass tanks is 10# per gallon. that will usually give you a little margin for error without being way out of the ball park.

I’m confused on what “10#” is representing.

• Like 1

On 8/27/2023 at 9:14 PM, TwoFace99 said:

Also, I tried to look up the company but I couldn’t find any customer support options to inquire more about this stand. Any reliable stands for a 55 gallon tank? 

Aquatic fundamentals is likely a house brand at this point for one of the big box stores. I've seen them all over the place and a lot of people on the forums have used them. 55G isn't as common these days. You could even consider a 75G stand and then use a 55G tank on that stand (if you already have the tank).  It gives you an upgrade path too. 

It's probably likely we see the 55G phased out and the newer 60B take it's place. Less items to be stocked and someone buying a 75 vs 60B tank can use the same stand, lids, light, filters, etc.

I have the Brooklyn one. It works just fine. I have that same style for one of my 29G as well.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This is a subject right in line with some of my questions when it comes to bigger tanks!

I was just looking into a 40gal breeder and what the best over-engineered stand would be.  I was also curious about the metal frames and came across this stand that looks cool, but couldn't find a lot of info about it and the dimensions don't seem accurate. ??  Any thoughts?

Screenshot_20230828_162329_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Screenshot_20230828_162343_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Screenshot_20230828_162513_Amazon Shopping.jpg

• Like 1

On 8/27/2023 at 11:14 PM, TwoFace99 said:

Thank you. I guess I will pass up on this product as I’m trying to avoid spending so much on an acrylic aquarium/stand combo. 

I’m confused on what “10#” is representing.

long before folks called it a hash tag, it was a pound sign. 10#= 10 pounds.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

It states "engineered wood."  I'm not sure what they mean by that.

For the low-ish price, I wouldn't expect too much.  It looks like there is some metal in there, which is a good thing.  It might be Ok for a glass tank that needs support on the corners.

On 8/30/2023 at 11:36 PM, Galabar said:

It states "engineered wood."  I'm not sure what they mean by that.

For the low-ish price, I wouldn't expect too much.  It looks like there is some metal in there, which is a good thing.  It might be Ok for a glass tank that needs support on the corners.

"engineered wood" generally means particle board.

• Like 2

On 8/30/2023 at 6:27 PM, lefty o said:

My mistake. I was aware it was called a pound sign from phone conversations and what not, but I thought the pound sign meant something different this time. Sorry.

On 8/30/2023 at 6:27 PM, lefty o said:

My mistake. I was aware it was called a pound sign from phone conversations and what not, but I thought the pound sign meant something different this time. Sorry

• 2 weeks later...

Doing a little research into MDF , Medium density fiberboard.  And its use in aquarium stands. It's actually a very sturdy realistic looking engineered wood. As a top to a metal framed stand, it looks really nice. Any thoughts or does anyone have any experience with MDF board? 🤔

On 9/11/2023 at 10:05 PM, Matt B said:

Doing a little research into MDF , Medium density fiberboard.  And its use in aquarium stands. It's actually a very sturdy realistic looking engineered wood. As a top to a metal framed stand, it looks really nice. Any thoughts or does anyone have any experience with MDF board? 🤔

mdf is okay, but imo not great. it can sag, and if it gets wet it loses all its structural integrity.