Black Beard Algae in Sponge Filters

My sponge filters (3 large Coop sponges in a 60 gal aquarium) have been taken over by Blackbeard algae. (possibly due to some recent neglect on my part....). I'm thinking that if I remove and clean the sponges then soak them in peroxide it should kill off the existing algae? I'm working on my water conditions to discourage it from returning, but it's going to take awhile. I also have a canister filter in the aquarium so it will be OK if I remove the sponges for awhile. How long of a soak would be needed and is there an alternative method to get rid of the algae that you guys would recommend? After I clean the sponges I will tackle whatever is probably growing in the canister filter. Thank you!

On 8/17/2023 at 11:51 AM, dmurray407 said:

My sponge filters (3 large Coop sponges in a 60 gal aquarium) have been taken over by Blackbeard algae. (possibly due to some recent neglect on my part....). I'm thinking that if I remove and clean the sponges then soak them in peroxide it should kill off the existing algae? I'm working on my water conditions to discourage it from returning, but it's going to take awhile. I also have a canister filter in the aquarium so it will be OK if I remove the sponges for awhile. How long of a soak would be needed and is there an alternative method to get rid of the algae that you guys would recommend? After I clean the sponges I will tackle whatever is probably growing in the canister filter. Thank you!

It may be easier to spot treat with liquid carbon like easy carbon or excel. You could also get some Amano shrimp as they eat it. It may be easier on you to that

On 8/17/2023 at 11:16 AM, Zac said:

It may be easier to spot treat with liquid carbon like easy carbon or excel. You could also get some Amano shrimp as they eat it. It may be easier on you to that

The entire sponges are completely caked with algae, I think they need to be replaced or soaked-I don't think spot treatment would be enough. And, I have some large Rainbowfish that love to eat shrimp (I've tried several times-they think it's their special treat when I try to introduce shrimp....)

On 8/17/2023 at 10:05 AM, dmurray407 said:

The entire sponges are completely caked with algae, I think they need to be replaced or soaked-I don't think spot treatment would be enough. And, I have some large Rainbowfish that love to eat shrimp (I've tried several times-they think it's their special treat when I try to introduce shrimp....)

There is a 3-day soak method that works well I would recommend you try.  The method for what to use is going to be either bleach, Hydrogen peroxide, or algecide (easy carbon).

Here's the video with the details, the directions are in the video description as well.

• Like 1