Waterproofing

AFish

Hi All,

I'm plan on doing some hydroponic filter for my 40 breeder that will be housing two fancy goldfish. The plants will be resting on two 2x4, I was wondering whats the best way to waterproof them that's cheap and fish friendly.

Thanks

An oil based outdoor/deck paint should waterproof them well then. You can also buy treated 2x4s - which often has a slight green hue (or brown/cedar hue - but might be harder to find). Treated wood can be painted, but doesn't need to be as it's already waterproofed. 

On 8/14/2023 at 2:44 PM, AFish said:

Yes they are staying out of the water.

On 8/14/2023 at 4:31 PM, MattyM said:

An oil based outdoor/deck paint should waterproof them well then. You can also buy treated 2x4s - which often has a slight green hue (or brown/cedar hue - but might be harder to find). Treated wood can be painted, but doesn't need to be as it's already waterproofed. 

Thanks I'll look into it.

For a little more information about the treated wood, if you decide to use it.  Make sure it's absolutely bone dry before painting it.  Due to the treating process it often has a higher moisture content when sold than untreated wood.  It will also tend to warp more when it dries.

If I was doing it I'd buy untreated lumber and paint it.  That should be adequate to protect it from occasional spills or splashes.

If the wood stays wet then I'd address the cause.

• Like 2