Green Leaf Algae Eating Shrimp

Galabar

I noticed the "Green Leaf Algae Eating Shrimp" in this Dan's Fish video.  They beat out amano shrimp and Florida flag fish in an algae eating contest.

Has anyone kept these before?  Does ACO sell them or plan to sell them?

Thanks for any info! 🙂

Edited: the only other reference I found was: https://www.interaquaristik.de/green-leaf-zwerggarnele-caridina-sp-green-leaf/a-101250

Edited by Galabar
  • Like 2

This shrimp, as far as I know, is uncategorized and very new to the hobby. They are considered a "false amano shrimp" and have been mistaken for amanos in the past. They do seem to be a different species that comes from a different region. I asked a few shrimp experts and according to them there is no assigned scientific name for these shrimp yet. 

• Like 2

On 8/12/2023 at 4:59 PM, Sarina said:

This shrimp, as far as I know, is uncategorized and very new to the hobby. They are considered a "false amano shrimp" and have been mistaken for amanos in the past. They do seem to be a different species that comes from a different region. I asked a few shrimp experts and according to them there is no assigned scientific name for these shrimp yet. 

I'm curious if these can breed in freshwater... 🙂

@Galabar I don't know if I believe that just yet, in my experience shrimp don't eat a ton of algae, they mainly eat the biofilm on the surface of the algae, or consume decaying algae. 

I still put my faith in my Flagfish buddies. They do some pretty incredible work in my tanks. 

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
On 10/31/2023 at 12:29 PM, Elodie Rose said:

the info that I can find is contradictory

I just had a conversation with Jonny from Dan's Fish, they believe that they breed similarly to standard amano shrimp and won't breed in freshwater, so that is rather disappointing. Will that stop me from ordering them? Probably not lol. I am getting some other fish anyway, so I might as well. 

• Like 2
  • Love 1

The problem for me is, in the video amano shrimp also eat hair algae like crazy. I personally havent seen any noticable good result when I added some to my tank to make them label as great algae eaters based on my personal experience. And I really didnt have a big hair algae problem. In fact, It was much much smaller than what they eat in the video. 

I think keeping them potentially hungry and throwing a bunch of algae is likely different than keeping them in a community tank. 

Please update us based on your experience

• Like 1

On 10/31/2023 at 2:44 PM, Lennie said:

in the video amano shrimp also eat hair algae like crazy

and the flagfish didn't eat any of it, which is wild to me because I feed mine clumps of hair algae and they go nuts for it. I really respect Dan and his entire business model and I 100% support him, but it's just a singular trial and results will definitely vary depending on what they're eating on a daily basis. They will always prefer leftover food and fill up on that before attacking algae, at least in my experience. 

• Like 2

On 10/31/2023 at 11:38 PM, Sarina said:

and the flagfish didn't eat any of it, which is wild to me because I feed mine clumps of hair algae and they go nuts for it. I really respect Dan and his entire business model and I 100% support him, but it's just a singular trial and results will definitely vary depending on what they're eating on a daily basis. They will always prefer leftover food and fill up on that before attacking algae, at least in my experience. 

And it is really hard to not have a leftover piece of food or anything else in the tank for them to eat/graze on in an established community tank. In such tank size with that many shrimp, maybe they lack the ability to graze nonstop and run out of natural surface growth fast, also no leftover food too as they are the only one in the tank. So basically they go for the algae directly.

I dont know much about flagfish because they have never been popular in where I live. But it is good to hear another experience. Thanks for sharing

On 10/31/2023 at 3:45 PM, Guppysnail said:

no in community tanks because they are bullies

The males can be bullies, but if you get a group of 4 or 5 females and stay away from the males, you shouldn't have an issue. The females are comfy in a community setting as long as there's a few of them to hang out together. They are a harem species, and quite easy to sex. Females will have a visible black spot on their dorsal fins and they will be a drab brown color. Males will have the bright striped pattern, and no black dorsal spot. They will also usually be larger than the females. 

• Thanks 1

On 10/31/2023 at 4:44 PM, Cory said:

I just got 8 of these shrimp today. I'll be seeing how they do on algae myself. Also I've got a code if anyone else is buying from dans, aquariumcoop saves you 5% and gets me some cash. https://dansfish.com/ref/aquariumcoop I went a little nuts, and got 4 different things in my order 😉

Thanks! 🙂

I noticed these on one of Dan's video's: https://dansfish.com/product.detail/2861/True-Freshwater-Bumblebee-Goby-(Brachygobius-xanthomelas)

Tempting. 🙂

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/21/2023 at 11:19 AM, Myersc1989 said:

Just received 12 going to give them a try

All came alive and well packed. Was told it would be delayed by a day, but still arrived by 10am, less then 24hrs later. Will share my experience with them. 

Awesome!  Can't wait to hear how it goes. 🙂

• 3 months later...

IMG_0303.jpeg.f492ca0f9d8d12b019cf872eb4dba2ae.jpegI have some Finnex 24/7 CRV LED lights for my heavily planted tanks. Tons of light. The very tops of my driftwood had a very healthy carpet of hair algae.  I got these Green Leaf Algae Eaters and now there is NO hair algae anywhere.  I have stem plants tops that float just at the surface and even those are clean.  My females have berried up, but no babies.  Besides the grazing that they do, I supplement with zucchini slices. 

Those are Java Moss strands on the driftwood.  

IMG_0305.jpeg

Edited by paybackranch
Added photos and text

I really have a marginal LFS—so online is my best option.  Much greater variety online, as well.  I do try to buy tank raised stock, when I can.  They tend to be very robust and have a better start, IMO.  I still quarantine—